What We're Looking For
We are looking for a thoughtful, collaborative and results-driven engineering leader with experience in containerization of complex web applications and creation of continuous deployment pipelines with Kubernetes. You are a maker at heart and have experience in finding a balance between individual technical contribution and achieving results via a team. You are comfortable using and providing guidance in techniques like test driven development (TDD), pair programming, and architectural engineering best practices.
About The Team
As a member of the Bootcamps Engineering team which is part of the larger TechDev team at 2U, you will be directly contributing to the success of our student journey. The work we do directly impacts the lives of our students. It’s our role to work to develop best-in-class experiences for delivering our curriculum to our student body. We are looking for experience and expertise in most of the following technologies - a Bonus if you have SalesForce Development experience / Understanding of APEX code.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Containerizing our suite of web applications, and creating a healthy CI/CD pipeline and practice using existing BuildKite, Helm, and Kubernetes/EKS infrastructure. (While this is not a DevOps position, it will have significant interaction and collaboration with our DevOps team as well as our Interoperability Architect.)
- Participating in occasional spikes to rapidly iterate proofs of concept to validate software or architectural approaches to business requirements.
- Making direct technical contributions (writing, debugging, reviewing, refactoring and deploying code).
- Providing technical guidance and feedback to other members of the team.
- Leading technical design and participate in larger system design efforts.
- Planning and execution (from an engineering perspective) of short and medium term projects.
- Aligning with a big picture architectural vision and helping to restructure systems to move into alignment with that vision, while delivering on current priorities.
- Participating in hiring, engaging and developing for members of the team.
- Assessing, reporting, and improving systems and processes in your charge.
- Collaborating effectively with Product team (product managers, business analysts, and UX designers) to define and refine requirements.
- While not having a team that directly reports to you - you are able to function and execute in a “Tech Lead” role that dictates what other engineers are working on and provide technical guidance and mentorship to the engineering team working with you.
Things That Should Be In Your Background
- 7-10 years of relevant experience in software development.
- Significant, idiomatic expertise with Docker, Kubernetes, and related technologies.
- A deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities of creating a true CI/CD pipeline, including feature flagging, architectural fitness function testing, and development team workflow best practices.
- Experience creating AWS infrastructure using Terraform with functionality deployed to either a containerized, Kubernetes cluster, or focused microservices.
- Experience in (or clear potential for understanding) higher education ecosystem.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role
- Experience with LTI integrations, and learning tools such as Canvas or Moodle.
- Experience with Salesforce integrations.
- Understanding of where the consumer tech industry is heading and the trade-offs of trending solutions.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break from Christmas through New Years!
In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is $150,000.00, with potential bonus eligibility. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.