What We’re Looking For:
At 2U Education Services, we’re creating programs to train new audiences for careers in the tech industry. Our programs are taught at the leading universities across the country including the University of Pennsylvania, University of California Berkeley, Northwestern, UNC Chapel Hill, Rutgers, UT Austin, and many others. We pride ourselves on building high-quality programs that help ambitious, hardworking adults change their lives through practical skills, fundamental knowledge, and the confidence to advance their careers.
We’re looking for a top-notch web development professional with a love for teaching, inspiring, and helping newcomers enter the field of web development. The program we’re developing combines theoretical teaching with plenty of hands-on practical, skills-based training.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Work as part of a team of curriculum engineers to create technical and non-technical content for the 2U Full-Stack (web development) Curriculum, serving as a mentor for junior developers, providing direction as the lead on multiple projects, and creating more efficient workflows within the curriculum team. (30%)
- Write and review detailed lesson plans for instructors to use during teaching including learning objectives, activities, slide presentations, ancillary resources, and more. (40%)
- Establish and promote best practices in lesson plan development, style guides, and coding techniques, while keeping up with tech trends. (15%).
- Partner in supporting the instructional community by responding to discussions in appropriate feedback forums (GitHub, Slack) (10%)
- Support admissions and instructional teams at 2U with training and other materials as requested. (5%)
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- At least 2-3+ years of industry experience in the field of web development on the MERN stack
- A lot of hands-on experience. We’re building a program in which students learn by doing! At a minimum, you should have a strong familiarity with technical learning content and tools, including as many of the following as possible:
- SQL and NoSQL Databases, ORMs
- Rest APIs and GraphQL
- React (or Vue/Angular)
- Emerging performant technologies (PWA, Gatsby, Next.js)
- Security, accessibility, testing
- Python, C#, Java, AWS, and DevOps experience is a plus
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- You absolutely love teaching and sharing knowledge with others. It’s ideal if you’ve taught full-stack web development in the past.
- Demonstrated writing ability to clearly communicate engaging instruction and activities that teach technical skills. We write a LOT on our team. If you’re someone who has always wanted to write about full stack development and enjoys teaching new concepts to beginners, then we may be the place for you.
- A creative itch! This job is all about thinking on your feet and spinning quick and fun activities to demonstrate key concepts. You need to be someone who can dream up a proof of concept idea… then code or create it in a day or two.
- You aren't afraid to get your hands dirty. In this capacity, you’ll be responsible for keeping a living curriculum up-to-date for hundreds of Instructors and TAs across the country. This means managing issues, pull requests, and bug fixes. It also means taking in community input on technology trends. We need someone with the ability to maintain a community of professionals in a collaborative environment.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break from Christmas through New Years!
In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is $72,100, with potential bonus eligibility. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.