What We're Looking For:
Are you a passionate data engineer with a knack for changing lives? Do you love writing, teaching, and storytelling as much as you love data engineering? Are you interested in creating world class learning experiences that will prepare adult learners to advance their skills in data engineering and data science? Then we may have the position for you.
We’re creating programs to train new audiences for careers in the data industry. We pride ourselves on building high-quality programs that help ambitious, hardworking adults change their lives through practical skills, fundamental knowledge, and the confidence to advance their careers.
The ideal candidate for this role has professional experience in complex projects applying data engineering in big data settings and the ability to quickly adapt to changing requirements. You are always driving for great quality, but you also know when to “go pencils down” and ship a product, working iteratively to continue to improve based on student and instructor feedback.
This is a fully remote position, but to encourage team connectedness (e.g. ease with getting to team off-sites etc.) we prefer to hire individuals within 50 miles of one of our office locations.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Write and review detailed lesson plans that can either be instructor-facing (used during teaching) or student-facing, depending on the specific program modality for which they are creating the curriculum.
- Scope and sequence curriculum modules, units, and individual lesson plans with minimal guidance.
- Follow and promote best practices in lesson plan development, instructional design, and style guides.
- Work within an internal team of curriculum engineers and outside subject-matter experts.
- Coordinate and partner with the Program Support Manager in supporting the instructor community, responding to issues, and proposing and executing on solutions.
- Plan, review, and report on sprint progress and accomplishments; participate in daily team scrums.
- Support admissions and instructional teams with training and other materials as requested.
- Stay abreast of tech trends and create content to meet demand.
- Conceive of and collaborate on new ideas for more effectively enhancing student learning.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Minimum of 2 years relevant data engineering industry experience.
- Applied experience in one or more relational database management systems or querying architectures (mySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLAlchemy, Spark, Databricks), including creating, reading, updating and deleting data structures.
- Applied experience with version control software (Git, GitHub, BitBucket).
- Experience with an object oriented programming language, Python preferred.
- Exceptional communication, problem-solving, and writing skills.
- Ability to communicate complex topics in a manner that can be clearly understood by beginners.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break!
In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is $70,000, with potential bonus eligibility. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.