What We’re Looking For:
The Senior Director, Curriculum leads a team responsible to produce, deliver, and refine 2U-owned curriculum across two domain subject areas: full-stack software engineering and cybersecurity, focusing on quality, delivery, and efficient use of shared resources, while designing and building immersive technical training programs with significant revenue targets. For all assigned programs, the Senior Director is responsible for leading the team that executes on course and content development processes to deliver new, student-and instructor-ready technical content. The Senior Director is further responsible for ensuring that the team supports all aspects of program launch and ongoing class delivery, including instructional support, internal and external stakeholder communications, and operational leadership.
The role of the Senior Director, Curriculum is essential to the quality and delivery of multiple Boot Camp programs and requires product management, project management, instructional design, and people leadership skills. They will need to deftly balance the need for industry-focused, differentiated and quality programs and a drive for scale and efficient use of shared resources.
The Senior Director, Curriculum leads team delivery processes, while working with the Curriculum Manager to ensure our teams bring industry perspectives, market research, competitive intelligence, and a user experience perspective to curriculum development.
The Senior Director, Curriculum serves as the primary interface to 2U/Trilogy for program content and learning outcomes, and the internal expert on the status and curricular roadmap for the Boot Camp program. To do so successfully will require the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of continuous change, while focusing on exceeding goals and objectives with a high level of independence and with clear, consistent and reliable communication across stakeholders and teams.
- Learning product manager who thinks clearly about industry needs and student learning outcomes, as well as the needs of our business
- Pragmatic curriculum designer who can creatively balance learning quality at scale with the need for operational efficiency
- Continuous learner with experience working in tech, specifically with software engineering or cybersecurity domains
- Open-minded thinker around work resourcing and flexible models
- Bringer together of expertise to solve a problem; internal collaborator and silo destroyer
- Budget manager, capacity planner and resource mapper
- People leader and talent finder
- Horizon scanner who can identify opportunities and mitigate risks early
- Excellent communicator with executive presence
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Lead the end-to-end curriculum development processes to produce, deliver, and refine 2U-owned curriculum for multiple immersive technical training programs (classroom and online) across related skill domains of software engineering and cybersecurity
- Establish, manage, and execute against delivery project plans for all curricular content
- Understand and implement our 2U/Trilogy instructional design framework and style guide and ensure all curricula meets our standards for excellence and quality of instruction
- Directly manage a team of curriculum managers, each of whom leads a specific boot camp domain program
- Support internal partners with pilot program launches and full program rollouts, including supporting instructional staff and other ongoing program support activities
- Partner with marketing, admissions, and product enablement to ensure university and student touchpoints accurately reflect the latest program offerings
- Continuously assess the curriculum offerings making sure it is appropriately tied to employer needs, as well as current, relevant and differentiated
- Collaborate with curriculum managers, product enablement, and marketing to determine future program offerings
- Track key metrics to ensure your program is having the expected educational impacts for our students and business outcomes for 2U
- Utilize data from learner analytics, internal and instructor feedback, market research, and competitor market intelligence to make data-driven product improvement and roadmap decisions
- Monitor employer, job seekers, and technology trends to ensure our boot camps deliver outcomes in line with the employment market and employer needs
- Provide ongoing course development status updates to academic leadership; address and resolve challenges and demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement
- Partner with academic leadership to ensure program quality and delivery
- Deliver coaching and professional development to team members, while highlighting culturally responsive practices
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 7+ years of experience in product management, program management, or course development for in-person and online learning
- 5+ years of experience working with subject matter experts and teams of editorial experts.
- Proven experience working in content development for technical topics (Cybersecurity, Software Engineering, Data Analytics, DevOps, etc.), preferably in an educational format.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects and changing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Experience in creating and managing project plans, identifying the most important priorities in a plan, providing clear status updates to stakeholders, and managing project risks..
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct work and adapt to changing market opportunities quickly.
- Demonstrated success in driving solutions in a fast-paced and rapidly-evolving environment
- Budgetary and schedule responsibility in a high-performance environment
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills with superior attention to detail and demonstrated problem-solving success
- Excellence in spoken and written communications, especially customer-facing presentation skills
- Familiarity with web-based delivery and video technology
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Advanced degree or course work in higher education or online education
- Previous experience defining, communicating and driving fulfillment of product requirements
- Experience in US and UK higher education sector; understanding of both education systems and terminology
- Product management or development responsibility for digital products or services
- Strong familiarity with Learning Management Systems and content accessibility requirements
- Previous experience leading teams with or without direct reporting authority
Travel estimated to be 20%, may include International travel
Two to three direct reports; Two to nine indirect reports, full-time and part-time
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
- In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is ($120,000), with potential bonus and equity eligibility. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.