What We’re Looking For:
The purpose of this role is to serve as an analytics specialist in the business, focusing on advanced data mining, statistical analysis and modelling of data to create solutions that enable enhanced business performance through data-driven insights.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Design, implement and evaluate advanced statistical models.
- Use machine learning tools and statistical techniques to produce solutions to business problems.
- Cleansing and verifying the integrity of data and enhancing data sources where necessary.
- Ensure code is thoroughly tested.
- Ensure best practices are followed.
- Analysis of data in order to provide data-driven insights through data mining and exploratory analysis.
- Visualize data insights and communicate findings.
- Support, mentor and provide technical guidance to junior and mid level Data Analysts and junior Data Scientists.
- Coach analysts and scientists through complex issues.
- Leverage business knowledge to create solutions that enable enhanced business performance.
- Help guide business when making technical decisions.
- Perform research and constantly stays on top of the industry’s trends.
- Adhere to internal Agile methodology.
- Actively look for opportunities to improve through stretch assignments and continuous learning.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 4+ years experience in the Data industry.
- A Bachelor's degree (Stats, Engineering, Business Science preferred).
- Experience in data analysis and business intelligence.
- Proficiency in SQL.
- Proficiency in R or Python.
- Experience working in statistics.
- Experience in building machine learning models.
- Understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Good Problem Solving Skills.
- Analytical, strategic and logical thinker.
- Time management, discipline, accountability, self-motivation and eagerness to learn.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audience.
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate to data solutions.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to collaborate effectively and work as part of a team as well as on your own.
- Attention to Detail.
- Curious and eager to learn.
- Enjoy working in agile, fast paced environment.
- Comfort with ambiguity, ready to solve complex problems.
- Self aware and humble, ask for help/give help.
- Empathize with end users and stakeholders.
- Typically the individual will be housed in an office environment at a designated desk/workstation within the Systems & Technology department.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Should be able to use a computer keyboard, calculator, and general office equipment.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.