What We’re Looking For:
2U is a global leader in digital education, creating higher education degree programs for the world’s best universities. Curriculum & Learning (C&L) develops innovative degree curricula and courses for higher education degree programs. The VP of Video & Media leads our teams for designing, producing and executing innovative and effective digital content for learning in collaboration with university faculty in a wide range of academic subjects. This is high-volume custom video and media production, using studio and remote recording technology for multi-platform delivery.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Contribute industry leadership and expertise to the C&L Leadership Team, to meet cross-team objectives, improve our culture and ensure continuous improvement in our operations.
- Provide experience and insights to influence our future in digital education at the business line and enterprise level, through trend analysis, proposals and thought-leadership.
- Lead product and partner initiatives to ensure that media quality is high and that production requirements are appropriate to business strategic and operating objectives.
- Provide leadership, motivation and performance objectives to direct reports and team members across functions of creative, production, post-production, media technology and operations with regular evaluation against performance metrics.
- Contribute to meeting goals and objectives for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, both organizational and in our products.
Video Media and Strategy
- Ensure that 2U’s use of video and other media provides an effective teaching and learning experience for university faculty and their students.
- Balance financial, creative & quality objectives to meet 2U and university partner business objectives through strategic planning and production innovation.
- Identify and leverage the best-of-breed video, animation, interactive or other media technology to drive a cost-effective and scalable production process, as well as accessibility and other compliance requirements.
- Oversee planning and scheduling for over 400 - 500 new degree courses annually, coordinating with individual or multiple faculty partners, independent production companies, and C&L course development teams contributing to each course.
- Create team structures and workflows to efficiently produce over 30,000 media assets annually; monitor performance and metrics to
- identify needs for skills and capabilities to achieve productivity and financial objectives.
- Align workflow and operations to support component-level planning and agile development methodologies across C&L course development.
- Distribute work assignments equitably across teams while optimizing staff and studio utilization across the production calendar.
Production Operations and Vendor Management
- Responsible for delivering over 3,000 hours of finished video and media annually for use in 2U degree courses.
- Overall budgetary responsibility for staff, studios and all external vendors (over $10M annually).
- Facilities and operational responsibility for 2U Studio locations in Arlington, VA, and Los Angeles CA, as well as logistics for on-location filming and equipment for remote video sessions.
- Responsible for vendor relationships and their performance to standards for quality, schedules, SLA’s and negotiated rates with the greatest cost-effectiveness, including independent production companies, out-sourced support services and contract agencies.
- Requires addressing numerous daily challenges with collaborative problem-solving and prompt decisions that balance the needs of partner faculty, C&L teams and 2U business objectives for best outcome.
- Ensures that 2U teams and vendors incorporate appropriate technology for workflow support, filming, graphics, editing and asset management to create the highest-quality products with a minimum of complexity.
- Manages team to create, document and maintain best-practices and standards for the use and application of technology and enabling software and tools.
- Recommends objectives and functional requirements for media delivery and accessibility within 2U’s end-user learning management systems.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Minimum of 10 - 15 years production management experience, including senior or executive level responsibility for multiple teams and functions.
- Demonstrated success in creating effective and innovative educational content for higher education or corporate/professional audiences.
- Management of creative media or product management in a multiplatform delivery environment.
- Exceptional communication and problem-solving skills that create alignment and action in a collaborative team environment that is also responsive to change.
- Significant budgetary or P&L responsibility.
- Strong analytical skills for financial planning and performance management.
- Prior responsibility for vendor negotiation, contracts and management.
- Client/partner relationship management, with effective decision-making under pressure.
- Knowledge of the current state-of-the-art for video and graphics technology, including media asset management systems and related workflow support.
- Familiarity with browser technology and learning management systems strongly preferred.
- BA/BS required.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.