What We’re Looking For:
Implements engineering solutions and acts as engineering lead to deliver on product roadmaps. Responsible for implementation and the health and operation of business domain products within your remit.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Responsible for the integrity of the business domain products in your charge.
- Ensure that best practices are followed.
- Research, design, implement and maintain enterprise architecture.
- Work with business to clarify and define requirements.
- Responsible for the quality of code produced by team members.
- Ensure code is thoroughly tested.
- Responsible for uptime and monitoring.
- Proactively look for improvements and handle implementation.
- Provide feedback on technical performance.
- Assist with technical interviews.
- Coach developers through complex issues.
- Communicate progress effectively with team members and business stakeholders.
- Make sure best practices are followed by team members.
- Work with juniors to break up tasks into smaller pieces.
- Drive solutions when maintenance issues arise.
- Do not over allocate work - ensure that you are able to complete assigned tasks within the allocated timeline.
- Be prudent with your time and ensure that you are only in meetings where you can add value.
- Understand the domain for which you are responsible.
- Work with business stakeholders to understand their goals and strategy.
- Understand who our users are and what is important to them.
- Help guide business when making technical decisions.
- Manage ambiguity around tasks.
- Lead the company's values.
- Promote continuous self-improvement.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 5+ years web development experience.
- Experience with design, development and deployment of NodeJS services.
- Solid experience with object oriented programming principles.
- Solid understanding of front-end technologies, such as React, HTML5, CSS3.
- Experience with unix command-line and Git.
- Familiar with continuous integration.
- Day to day operation.
- Mentoring and knowledge transfer.
- Personal time management is important.
- Ensure that administrative tasks, e.g. CapEx tracking sheet and Jira tickets, are updated in a timely manner.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Bonus skills that are preferred and not required - Ruby on Rails and ReactJS.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.