What We’re Looking For:
At 2U, the Experience Designer is the ultimate translator: through a human-centered design process, you’ll take complex business requirements, customer needs and expectations, and convert them into usable interfaces (or journey involving multiple interfaces). In the morning you might work in Sketch and InVision to create a clickable prototype for an upcoming usability test. After lunch you’ll pair with a developer to make sure a design is implemented perfectly. Finally, in the afternoon, you’ll whiteboard with a product manager and business stakeholder to solidify business requirements for an upcoming project. Internally to the team, you’ll help the experience design team maintain their internal pattern libraries and contribute thoughtfully to the team’s regular design review.
In this role, you'll follow a piece of software through multiple iterations - from conception, to definition, to execution, to deployment - and have a significant impact every step of the way to ensure the best choices are made at every point. You’ll be primarily responsible for creating artifacts depicting the HCD process, including, but not limited to: information architecture, task flows, visual design comps, clickable prototypes, storyboards, and mockups—to effectively communicate concepts to peers in the business, as well as our peers in product management and engineering.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Leading collaborative workshopping sessions with your peers and stakeholders to align on problem sets and/or define solutions
- Defining process flows, customer journey maps, and base level task flows
- White boarding on problems and solutions with peers and stakeholders
- Collaborating with other product designers to provide and receive feedback on thinking and executional work
- Producing pixel perfect design comps, with annotations; periodically contributing to our design system; working with accessibility peers on produced design work
- Working across all of our software portfolios across the entire customer journey, providing leadership and guidance to peers and stakeholders on best practices and providing the customer’s lens
- Working with peers in tech to determine how design decisions will connect a product's user experience to the business goals
- Advocating for the best User Experience while maintaining a strong sense of business goals and product initiatives
- Communicating product strategy to more junior designers
- Collaborating with accessibility peers to integrate an inclusive design approach at the foundation of a project, and ensuring accessibility standards and requirements are met
- Defining and documenting new patterns that tie to a design system
- Ensuring a consistent and intuitive experience across features, bundles, and products
- Spreading design thinking and thought leadership across the organization and beyond
- Lunches and social time with the design team
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 3-6 years of professional user-centered design experience, preferably working on a product or product suite that blends UX and business decision-making
- A bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience as an interactive/user experience designer
- A portfolio that demonstrates complex and elegant UX solutions that address business and user needs, exemplary visual design practices, and solid strategic thinking
- Demonstrates and articulates expert understanding of the tangibles in design: hierarchy, typography, color theory, human-computer interaction, basics in behavioral psychology as applied to interface design, well versed in accessible and inclusive design for product and service design
- Experience leveraging research and data to inform product and design decisions.
- Experience influencing product strategy to align with KPIs
- Has extensive knowledge of current best practices and trends from design theory to execution
- Puts themselves in the shoes of the end-user and advocates that point of view
- Able to communicate design decisions effectively across a wide array of audience types
- Experience collaborating with product managers, business analysts, and engineers on product briefs, roadmaps, and QA materials
- Experience working with industry standard tools, namely Sketch, Invision, and Zeplin. However, equivalent software experience is acceptable
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic and commitment to creating an encouraging and inclusive workplace, and a passion for doing great work
- A great listener who gives and receives honest, thoughtful feedback
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Experience working in a large enterprise environment
- Experience in service design; thinking and doing
- Experience working in complex business systems, and managing complex business needs with customer needs
- Experience leading high stakes workshops with senior stakeholders
- Consulting experience a plus
- Higher Ed experience a plus
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, short-term and long-term disability and 401(k) with company match
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is $73,500, with potential bonus eligibility. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.