What We’re Looking For:
The VP Strategy and Engagement is accountable for building the corporate and employer brand reputation of 2U in the South African region to start, but with potential to expand this to oversee our Europe, Middle East and Africa Regions. The S/VP will be responsible for 2U’s internal and external communications & engagement activities, public affairs, corporate social responsibility and partner closely with HR to maximise our DEI efforts in the region. The S/VP, ZA Strategy & Engagement will report to the Chief Strategy & Engagement Officer based in the US.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Lead and manage external communications campaigns to support regional corporate and product goals.
- Develop annual and quarterly regional external communications goals and initiatives in line with overall company, product and team goals.
- Work with US-based corporate communications team to ideate and execute strategic comms campaigns, including content, media and digital opportunities, including crisis communications.
- Collaborate with US or ZA based PR firms to develop and execute key PR initiatives.
- Identify employee or product content or stories to support regional or corporate storytelling efforts.
- Advise and oversee internal communications and events to drive employee engagement and satisfaction.
- Understand key employee communications needs and develop internal communications goals in line with overall company, product and team goals.
- Collaborate with US-based internal communication team to execute all-company messaging in the region.
- Oversee, support and gain buy-in for regional specific communications efforts, collaborating with regional senior leadership team, including crisis communications.
- Advise & support the global events strategy.
- Collaborate with government and community organizations to improve 2U’s reputation and minimize risk.
- Collaborate with People team to develop and execute 2U’s BBBEE efforts and initiatives.
- Understand South African regulatory landscape to minimize risk to company in region.
- Develop regional corporate social responsibility plan in collaboration with Communications leadership team.
- Meet with & inform key government officials regarding 2U’s impact in Cape Town, South Africa and globally.
- Develop and execute community engagement plan, especially in the area of 2U’s new office building.
- Support 2U partnerships to enhance 2U’s brand visibility & awareness
- Collaborate with People team on regional DEI efforts.
- Advise and support VP, DEI to develop and execute a regionally appropriate DEI plan.
- Work with the People team in the region for specific DEI initiatives.
- Support regional BRN and Mosaic leadership.
- Partner closely with the regional leadership team to support regional office & product goals.
- Act as a leader within the Cape Town office.
- Advise on reputational risks and opportunities to the leadership team in Cape Town and US.
- Manage regional communications team.
- Direct management of Strategy & Engagement team members located in South Africa.
- Collaborate with dotted line functional leads to ensure effective communication to employees.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 15+ years in communications leadership role.
- Experience in South African corporate affairs or government affairs required.
- Degree or commensurate experience in Government, strategy, communications or project management.
- Tertiary qualification.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Travel to 2U Headquarters or other office locations may be required from time to time.
- Irregular work schedule expected to accommodate meetings across time zones.
- Manager, Strategy & Engagement.
- Manager, Events.
- Manager, Internal Communications.
- Manager, Employer Brand.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.