What We’re Looking For:
The main purpose of this role is to use motion design to aid student learning and add engagement to all videos, while keeping with 2U and university partner style guides, with a focus on quality, efficiency and innovation. A senior motion designer should assist leads with QA (at manager’s discretion).
A senior motion designer must have demonstrable excellence in animation, including a great sense of timing and rhythm. They must be excellent in After Effects as well as the graph editor and other advanced techniques (e.g. expressions). They should have a good understanding of either traditional or 3D animation (C4D), and experience in at least one of the two. This position requires conceptual and problem-solving ability.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Perform all motion design tasks from pre-production (graphics brainstorm meetings and storyboards) through to execution, in an organised and well-communicated manner, without supervision and with minimal reverts to produce content of excellent quality.
- Conceptualise complex animations that demonstrate problem-solving and pedagogical thinking, as well as proactively suggest innovative and interesting animation formats and ideas that support the learning outcome. Guide junior and mid-level motion designers in conceptualising and with learning.
- Formal QA of videos for assigned university partners, as well as ad-hoc videos, at manager's discretion. Able to deliver feedback, guidance and mentorship to junior and mid motion designers in a constructive, clear and respectful way.
- Proactively suggesting innovation to improve problem areas and processes. Self-motivated upskilling and keeping up to date with motion design trends, new technologies and software, and sharing and presenting these learnings with the team to drive innovations and team development.
- Effective, clear and professional communications with internal and external project stakeholders. Good interpersonal skills and relationships with all team members that foster collaboration.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 4+ years working experience.
- Experience in education/edtech (negotiable).
- Demonstrable excellence in animation.
- Demonstrable excellence in After Effects, including the graph editor and advanced techniques (expressions, etc).
- Front-end web development for interactive, web-based or web-embedded animations advantageous.
- Cinema 4D modelling and animation advantageous.
- Pedagogy experience (e.g. lecturing experience or animation for learning) advantageous.
- Some experience in informal leadership/mentoring/training.
- A great sense of timing and rhythm.
- Good understanding of either 3D and traditional animation, and some experience in at least one of the two.
- Proof of conceptual work.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Professional written and verbal communication.
- Able to deliver feedback and guidance in a constructive, clear and respectful way.
- Demonstrable regard and respect from peers/teachers/mentors.
- Examples of initiative taken in previous work/position.
- Evidence of improved processes and/or workflows.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to self-review.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.