What We’re Looking For:
Learning Designers are responsible for the curriculum design of online short courses as well as creating, collating, and revising course material in collaboration with faculty, subject matter experts and internal stakeholders, ensuring course design and course materials align with sound pedagogy and learning design principles. The number one responsibility of the Learning Designer is execution of course development and evaluations, with direction from the Lead Learning Designer, measured against internal project plans and individual quality metrics. Specialist Learning Designers, such as Financial and Statistical Learning Designers, are dedicated to subject-specific courses.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Work with Lead Learning Designers to design the curriculum for online courses, including formulating learning outcomes and recommending appropriate mediums for content delivery and assessment.
- Conceptualise, research and create course content and activities that align with 2U’s learning design methodology and quality standards, and faculty’s direction, in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Evaluate and revise the content and design of existing courses to ensure that they remain up to date and aligned with pedagogical good practice and 2U and the university’s quality standards, to improve customer and teaching team experience as well as alignment between the marketing and delivery of courses.
- Assist in addressing design and content-related queries that arise during the marketing and presentation of courses.
- Collaborate with team members to refine processes and contribute to team and individual development, support the research and testing of new approaches to content development, and contribute to general innovation within the department.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- University degree in Statistics, Engineering, Business Science or similar. Any education-related qualifications (such as a teaching certificate) would be beneficial.
- Minimum 1 years’ work experience.
- Exposure to or a demonstrated interest in education. Teaching experience, curriculum design or content development experience preferred.
- Experience in copywriting and proofreading.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A high level of confidence and professionalism and strong interpersonal skills.
- Good work ethic and time management skills.
- Competency in information retrieval, analysis and collation (essential research skills) as well as a high level of digital literacy.
- Attention to detail.
- Good lateral thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle ambiguity.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- International travel may be required.
- 2U is a fast-paced, high-pressured environment and you will be expected to keep up (while getting the necessary level of support). You are expected to be proactive, self directing and to speak up when you need additional support.
- Teamwork is critical to achieving success in this role. You will need to establish strong relationships with peers and leaders in production teams.
- We don’t micromanage. So, you have to diagnose problems and brainstorm solutions without any prompts and manage up appropriately.
- Things change all the time. 2U is a very dynamic environment which means that you will need the ability to adapt to change quickly.
- Feedback forms part of the daily rhythms in Learning Design and you will need to be receptive to providing and receiving continuous feedback.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.