What We’re Looking For:
The main purpose of a Senior UI Designer is to create and design web elements that optimise user interaction and experience, of a high standard, for our Marketing and Brand platforms in keeping with the company and university partners' visual style guides with little guidance from their Lead/Manager and assist in informally mentoring junior and mid-weight UI designers.
A Senior UI Designer needs to have mastered UI, design systems and interaction design. Additionally, they should have an excellent understanding and practice of UX, wireframing, prototyping, sitemaps, user-flows and cultivate great working relationships with all stakeholders and contribute to the innovation and quality of output of the team.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
Conceptual (quality of problem-solving and brainstorming ability)
- Conceptualise and answer briefs autonomously and brainstorm solutions with Lead, UX and the Dev team.
- Engage with more complex ideation and conceptualise new ideas and direction.
- Proactively suggest innovative and functional solutions.
- Assist Leads/Specialists/Manager with process strategies and principles for design that meet the requirements of the team as a whole.
- Collaborate with other departments and the rest of the Creative team to understand project needs and ensure output of the highest quality.
- Engage in team training to further personal & departmental development.
Communication (quality of written & verbal communication and relationships)
- Establish relationships with team and stakeholders.
- Provide feedback and guidance in a clear and respectful way to peers, junior and mid-weight members of the team.
- Effective, clear and professional communication of concepts, ideas, training and processes internally and externally.
Initiative (quality of proactive ideas and innovations)
- Demonstrate proactive thinking within a brief or task e.g. suggesting an alternative design or solution.
- Drive and implementan implement innovations in collaboration with Lead, UX and the Dev team.
- Proactively iterate designs and solutions based on performance data and feedback.
Leadership (level of training, mentoring, managing and upskilling)
- Staying informed of industry trends and sharing with the team.
- Support Leads with mentoring of co-workers.
- Lead specific training sessions in line with expertise.
- Improve and build on skills gaps.
- Assist with on-boarding of new hires.
Quality (level of informal/ formal reviewing to increase quality)
- Produce UI design of an industry-leading standard.
- QA of work against a brief.
- Peer review of Junior and Mid-Weight work.
- Critically test development work against design and spec.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 5+ years of work experience.
- Relevant tertiary qualification (Design Diploma/Degree).
- Evidence of experience within the listed responsibilities.
- Technical knowledge and computer literacy essential: Adobe CC, Sketch, Invision, an understanding of HTML and CSS.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.