What We’re Looking For:
Engineering with the Content Creation team works like a junction box; there are many inputs coming in that we just turn into many outputs. This creates a unique, dynamic and challenging engineering environment. This means wearing different hats from time to time ( “I only do backend” does not work well ) and dealing with stakeholders from time to time.
We are looking for someone who does not mind wearing more than one hat from time to time. A good candidate will be self-organizing and autonomous. One be able to consume new information and be able to disseminate what information is a key requirement and what is not.
You will participate in cross-functional projects and help debug software. You will be asked to lean towards a “stable” system; data-integrity is paramount at Content Creation over “performance”.
Content Creation builds and maintains the Course Outline/Syllabus and the LTI platform that allows our data to be utilized both internally and with 3rd party Client/Tools such as GitHub Classrooms and others. Thus, data integrity is paramount and is an interesting challenge as most software applications push performance over data.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Light Mentorship of Team Members
- Write maintainable code that supports a stable data environment
- Conduct exploratory testing and investigations
- Efficiently debug complex problems
- Help with technical design of applications
- Plan and estimate short term projects
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- NodeJS and/or React
- Node HTTP Web Framework (e.g. express, hapi, etc.)
- Some AWS
- Some Docker or container orchestration
- Experience tooling applications for proper monitoring
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Detail oriented
- Able to quickly understand business requirements and recognize when they are incomplete or ambiguous.
- Strong communication
- Able to provide succinct updates on work progress and raise blockers early.
- Being interested in mentoring more junior members and willing to advocate for better/smarter processes, system designs, architecture for the team and our services.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Years!
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.