What We’re Looking For:
Learning Design Specialists support the Learning Experience team through ongoing research and testing on specialist projects, which may include but are not limited to 1) improving training methodology and materials, 2) staging functional interventions, 3) process optimisation and visualisation, and 4) leading initiatives aimed at innovation and automation. They are expected to stay up-to-date with current industry trends and assist the Learning Experience leadership team to test new approaches as they relate to the design of courses.
These technical specialists are also responsible for the design and development of online courses, and ensuring that all content is aligned with sound pedagogical principles through conducting ongoing quality assurance. These team members ensure that procedures are followed within the department and that quality standards of the university and 2U are upheld.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Conduct quality assurance of course content and oversee the implementation of new course development and evaluation processes to ensure all courses are aligned with sound pedagogical principles and 2U’s approach, as well as the quality standards and expectations of the university. In addition, liaise with team leads across Production and Presentation functions to ensure effective cross-team collaboration to meet project deliverables.
- Lead the curriculum design of online courses through facilitating collaboration amongst faculty, subject matter experts and internal teams, ensuring alignment with sound pedagogical principles and 2U’s pedagogical approach and delivery model. This includes facilitating training and on-boarding faculty members and subject matter experts, and working closely with Learning Designers to support the development of detailed Learning Design Plans.
- Act as a technical specialist in key areas of need for the department, which might include training, process optimisation, innovation, and automation. Lead initiatives, in collaboration with other departments, related to these areas of need with the support of senior management.
- Recommend revisions and improvements to new and existing course design and delivery based on student and teaching team feedback, market research findings, and learning analytics data. In addition, ensure changes are communicated to relevant internal and external stakeholders for input, approval and/or action as required. (5%)
- Support management in implementing training procedures and refining learning design methodologies and departmental processes, and drive general innovation within the department.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- University degree required.
- Minimum 2 years’ work experience in any learning design, instructional design, copywriting or teaching role. For internal applicants, a minimum of 1 year’s experience at 2U in a Learning Designer role, or 6 months’ experience in the role with prior experience of more than 1 year in a learning design or closely related role at another organisation.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately; must be able to multitask in high-intensity situations.
- Demonstrated functional excellence.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate in a courteous and tactful manner.
- High level of confidence and professionalism.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Good work ethic and time management skills.
- High level of digital literacy.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Good lateral thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle ambiguity.
- Ability to take initiative and self-direct towards key priorities.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- International travel may be required.
- 2U is a fast-paced, high-pressured environment and you will be expected to keep up. You are expected to be proactive, self-directing, and to speak up when you need additional support.
- Teamwork is critical to achieving success in this role. You will need to establish strong relationships with peers and leaders in production teams.
- We don’t micromanage. So, you have to diagnose problems and brainstorm solutions without any prompts and manage up appropriately.
- Things change all the time. 2U is a very dynamic environment which means that you will need the ability to adapt to change quickly.
- Feedback forms part of the daily rhythms in Learning Experience and you will need to be receptive to providing and receiving continuous feedback.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
GetSmarter, a brand of 2U, Inc., partners with the world's leading universities to select, design and deliver premium online short courses which enables lifelong learners across the globe to obtain industry-relevant skills that are certified by the world’s most reputable academic institutions.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.