Summary of Job:
2U is an education technology company that enables leading colleges and universities to offer higher education degrees, bootcamps and short courses to qualified students anywhere. We’re creating interactive, educational software and seeking a Product Designer to join our growing team in New York.
The Product Designer is an individual contributor who works with the Design Director to drive and implement 2U design and establish norms for UX culture and standards. You design product visuals using established vocabulary, and work closely with product managers and engineering teams to execute on the designs. You understand a wide array of users and user flows and push the boundaries of what’s possible. You are adept at interlacing existing brand styles with an established design system and finding opportunities to enhance, redesign and refresh along the way. You actively support junior team members to embolden their designs and provide broad context of the product design ecosystem at 2U.
- At least 2 years of professional user-centered design experience, preferably working on a product or product suite that blends UX and business decision-making
- A bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience as an interactive/user experience designer
- Maintains a portfolio that demonstrates thoughtful UX solutions that address business and user needs, competent visual design practices, and solid information architecture
- Demonstrates and articulates a strong understanding of layout, typography, color and visual hierarchy
- Experience leveraging research and data to inform product and design decisions.
- Experience influencing product strategy to align with KPIs
- Has extensive knowledge of current best practices and trends for UI design
- Puts themselves in the shoes of the end-user and advocates that point of view
- Able to communicate design decisions effectively across a wide array of audience types
- Experience collaborating with product managers, business analysts, and engineers on product briefs, roadmaps, and QA materials
- Experience working with industry standard tools, namely Sketch, Invision, and Zeplin. However, equivalent software experience is acceptable
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic and commitment to creating an encouraging and inclusive workplace, and a passion for doing great work
- A great listener who gives and receives honest, thoughtful feedback
- Able to lobby for exemplary user experience within the constraints of business operations
- Fundamental understanding of front-end development, experience working directly with developers for implementation of designs
- Experience iterating and evolving a holistic design system
- Ability to apply accessibility best practices, is able to communicate this knowledge to teammates, and actively apply this knowledge to user experiences
- Experience driving user research/usability tests
- Experience documenting design decisions for future reference and knowledge sharing
- Flexible in a fast-changing startup environment (able to “roll with the punches”)
- Enthusiasm for education, technology and 2U’s mission
What Your Day-to-day Will Look Like
- Iterative software development, including agile/scrum standups, design sync and review, retros, iteration, and feedback
- Participate in collaborative sessions with your product teams to discover solutions
- Collaborate with other product designers to give and get feedback on work
- Contribute to design system
- Working with product managers and business analysts to determine how design decisions will connect a product's user experience to the business goals
- Advocating for the best user experience while maintaining a strong sense of business goals and product initiatives
- Communicating product strategy to more junior product designers
- Collaborating with accessibility team to ensure the most accessible products possible
- Lunches and social time with the design team
- Defines and documents new patterns specific to design system
- Ensures a consistent and intuitive experience across features, bundles, and products
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
We believe there should be no back row in higher education. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been improving lives by powering the world’s best digital education. As a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities, we build, deliver, and support online graduate programs and certificates for working adults. Our industry-leading short courses, offered by GetSmarter®, are designed to equip lifelong learners with in-demand career skills. To learn more about 2U and No Back Row®, visit 2U.com.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.