Summary of Job:
2U is an education technology company that enables leading colleges and universities to offer higher education degrees, bootcamps and short courses to qualified students anywhere. We’re creating interactive, educational software and seeking a Sr. Director, User Experience to join our growing team in New York.
The Sr. Director, User Experience is responsible for creating and maintaining a team of design and usability professionals, ensuring that product management and development is receiving the desired services and service levels, and setting the strategic vision for user centered design at the organization.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
- The UX team provides user research, interaction and visual design, and usability testing services to the business. To facilitate this, the Sr. Director, UX does the following:
- Advocate across the company for product design and ux research opportunities to provide institutional value and impact.
- Develops, maintains, and continually improves processes across product portfolios for providing research needed during feature/product ideation and prioritization.
- Develops, maintains and continually improves processes across product portfolios for how designers and usability analysts engage with product teams.
- Ensures that research, design and usability roles are adequately resourced.
- Ensures that UX staff is delivering high-quality and timely research, design, and usability engineering services to product management and R&D.
- Works with UX Researchers and UX Designers to define and deliver new features, test new concepts, and assists with final implementation across product portfolios.
- Coordinate with engineering, UX, Creative, and Production teams to continually create engaging user experiences.
- Balance needs across multiple Product Portfolios while remaining flexible in a fast-changing environment.
- Create and manage KPIs to identify and assess team productivity and success.
- Working closely with Design Directors to insure KPIs are demonstrated and assessed within career pathing and quarterly individual contributor reviews.
- Create, communicate and maintain a global UX strategy with inputs from Product Portfolio Management.
Education and Experience:
- Must have strong analytical and oral communication skills; excellent interpersonal and leadership skills; able to collaborate effectively with others in a cross-functional team.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Need to have superb information design sensibility and a sound understanding of how to leverage user research effectively.
- 10 years of user experience design, research or product management experience.
- Experience working closely with product managers, designers, software engineers, and BA’s.
- Experience leading long-term Product or UX initiatives.
- Experience collecting, communicating and maintaining stakeholder and portfolio management alignment.
- Ability to synthesize user needs, business needs into product deliverables or business KPIs.
- Degree in business, design, research or tech-related field.
- Fluency with the basics of software engineering and agile methods to communicate. specifications and limitations between engineering stakeholders and UX individual contributors.
Working on site, Comfortable with open office space. Willingness to travel, work in a fast paced environment.
- Conduct quarter reviews for direct reports.
- Create, Communicate and Maintain departmental KPIs and OKRs
- Manage stakeholder relationships across Product Portfolios
- Attend daily portfolio standups to manage work requests and product portfolio priorities
- Communicate and Maintain departmental backlogs to senior management
- Increase visibility of the UX Department through presentations, conferences and publications.
- Manage consistency and clarity of incoming product briefs for communication and distribution within UX department.
- Promote UX and Research work-product across the organization.
- Engage 2U in larger Research and UX professional organizations.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.