We’re looking for a copywriter with 5-7 years of experience writing marketing copy and at least 2 years managing other writers to join our growing in-house creative team.
This position is at the manager level and requires an expert knowledge of a range of copywriting tactics, including for SEO-driven webpages, data-driven advertising, and strategic email campaigns.
The copy manager is expected to manage a team of copywriters and is responsible for the quality of their work as well understanding the strategy driving 2U’s data-driven marketing.
Writing samples are required for this position. Include a link to samples with your application and cover letter.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
Manage a team of copywriters from diverse backgrounds and with a range of experience levels.
- Provide direction, strategic insights, and context as well as offer constructive feedback to copywriters.
- Direct strategy across a wide variety of marketing assets, including websites, advertising, emails, presentations, print collateral, and brand identity manuals.
- Guide writers through new program launches and the creation of style guides, including voice, tone, and brand positioning.
- Support the growth of individual writers through professional development plans, goal evaluation, and delivering clear, honest feedback.
Actively participate in the growth and evolution of the creative team.
- Initiate new creative ideas and approaches that strengthen our communications and solve for specific marketing challenges.
- Identify staffing needs, identify and hire new talent, onboard and retain writers who can grow with the team.
- Contribute to and lead various special projects, including collaborations with teach across marketing.
- Lead lively and productive brainstorming sessions that stimulate creative thinking and inspire new ideas.
Work with teams across marketing to drive the creative team and our work forward.
- Work with marketing stakeholders to understand and communicate best practices across a range of data-driven marketing channels.
- Work closely with creative team leadership to establish new processes and efficiencies across the creative team.
- Represent the creative team in meetings with marketing leadership.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience writing marketing copy
- Minimum 2 years of experience managing writers
- Exceptional interpersonal (written and verbal) communication skills and presentation skills
- Experience delegating projects and providing feedback to other writers
- Experience working with designers, photographers, and videographers
- Must be open to feedback and be able to take direction while also driving projects without a lot of oversight
- Must have knowledge of AP and Chicago style and experience using client style guides
- Experience working as a copywriter within an agency is a plus
- Experience working with sophisticated brands is a plus
- Experience in higher education is also valuable but not required
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
We believe there should be no back row in higher education. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been improving lives by powering the world’s best digital education. As a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities, we build, deliver, and support online graduate programs and certificates for working adults. Our industry-leading short courses, offered by GetSmarter®, are designed to equip lifelong learners with in-demand career skills. To learn more about 2U and No Back Row®, visit 2U.com.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including a PTO allowance for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 12 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.