2U Engineering is fast, diverse, innovative, and full of people passionate about education and technology. We’re growing at a rapid pace and seeking enthusiastic, creative, intelligent and fun individuals to join us. In return, we can offer you a fun and hard-working environment where you can instantly see your contribution to the company’s success.
What we’re looking for in this role:
We are looking for a thoughtful and results-driven leader with experience running multiple engineering squads working independently on a portfolio of products under common architectural direction. You will be part of the Portfolio Leadership Team, which is fully accountable and responsible for delivering value to business stakeholders in that Portfolio.
You are a maker by training and background and have experience achieving results via your team, leading by example with individual technical contributions where necessary. You are comfortable translating strategic objectives to tactical plans and delivering on those plans. This role will require you to implement a combination of configurable ‘out-the-box’ tools alongside a number of supporting bespoke software services. This needs to be done in a thoughtful manner that achieves the greatest business impact in the most efficient way.
Above all, you care about delivering quality technology solutions in a sustainable and timely manner. You have experience in, and passion for, building and running effective teams that deliver and thrive.
You are an experienced manager, able to own and direct your teams in:
- Working closely to support the Product Portfolio Manager to set the strategic roadmap for your portfolio.
- Working closely with the Software Architect to design and deliver technology in accordance with Enterprise architectural standards.
- Enabling the Product Portfolio Manager to make tactical prioritization decisions by providing high level estimates on project initiatives.
- Planning and execution of short, medium, and long-term projects. Achieving agreed upon priorities in accordance with timeline commitments
- Hiring, engaging, and developing members of your teams. Assisting with hiring on adjacent teams.
- Assessing, reporting, and improving systems and processes in your charge.
- Collaborating effectively with other teams in the portfolio (product managers, business analysts, UX designers, etc.)
- Collaborating with other Portfolio Leadership teams.
- Collaborating effectively with other ‘matrix’ functions (Compliance, Security, DevOps, etc.)
- Strategically planning around high level decisions like build vs buy or product features vs technical debt repayment.
You are also competent maker, with demonstrable experience in:
- Providing technical guidance and feedback to engineering leads and their team members.
- Leading technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts.
- Advocating for end user needs in software you are building.
Lean Kanban / Extreme Programming
Among other things, we are strong advocates of truly agile approaches to software development, and practices like TDD and pair programming. We are constantly striving to improve the way we work. All teams have weekly retrospectives with our agile coaches. We invest heavily in time for training and conferences. We’re far from perfect and not afraid to admit it, but know that the way to overcome them is through patient and continuous improvement.
About The Team
The Customer Ops team is responsible for the effective implementation of our CRM Platform as well as supporting technology services. These include a number of ‘out the box’ utilities as well as a series of bespoke software solutions.
Specific emphasis will be placed on the appropriate integration of the CRM Ecosystem with the wider Enterprise Architecture.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
We believe there should be no back row in higher education. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been improving lives by powering the world’s best digital education. As a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities, we build, deliver, and support online graduate programs and certificates for working adults. Our industry-leading short courses, offered by GetSmarter®, are designed to equip lifelong learners with in-demand career skills. To learn more about 2U and No Back Row®, visit 2U.com.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 9 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.