Summary of Job:
The Course Developer I (CDI) is an expert in the application of 2U design methods, tools and processes, creating superior learning experiences, in partnership with university faculty, for the online student. The CDI is the primary faculty partner throughout the development process and is responsible for the successful execution of the course deliverable. The CDI employs superior written and verbal communication abilities, is skilled in relationship management, and is conversant in academic theory and design perspectives in the online environment. The role is also highly collaborative, both with internal and external stakeholders, to ensure measurable progress to completion. The challenges of the position are both creative and logistical, requiring a keen eye and ear for detail and the ability to guide faculty to make informed decisions at every stage. The CDI simultaneously drives progress on multiple projects at varying states of completion, handling the complexities of faculty relationships and process management with grace and confidence.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
- Faculty-facing course development
- Lead outcomes-focused planning sessions, empowering faculty to engage 2U’s content delivery methods and tools to create superior learning experiences.
- Employ planning and design expertise to align courses with strategic educational goals.
- Manage faculty expectations by establishing and enforcing milestones and deadlines for on-time, complete deliverables; provide effective solutions in situations where competing faculty priorities exist.
- Manage intake, organization and audit of all digital assets for assigned courses.
- Guide faculty through review and sign-off on coursework, ensuring completeness and accuracy of the academic content of the student-facing product.
- Internal collaboration and reporting
- Collaborate and communicate expertly with cross-functional team throughout development, demonstrating enthusiasm as a team player, delegating tasks effectively, and providing guidance where required.
- Manage statuses and streams of information from multiple sources, synthesizing pertinent course details to provide timely and complete project reporting to teammates, internal and external program leadership.
- Proactively assess when a project may be at risk and effectively implement an action plan without diminishing faculty buy-in. Clearly communicate concerns to faculty and stakeholders, escalating issues to management when appropriate.
- Administrative work and special projects
- Complete weekly time reporting designating capex work.
- Participate in department-wide projects and initiatives related to process improvement, training and course management.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2 years professional production and/or project-management experience
- Familiarity with project-management software and high comfort level with adopting emerging technologies
- Technical proficiency with Google Suite, Dropbox
- Successful client management experience
- Ability to expand workload capacity during periods of high intensity
- Experience working in higher-education or other academic settings
- Experience in course development, instructional design, and/or teaching
Travel, estimated at 15%, will occasionally be required to facilitate face-to-face work at 2U offices, partner universities, and studio locations in Arlington, VA and Los Angeles, CA.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
We believe there should be no back row in higher education. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been improving lives by powering the world’s best digital education. As a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities, we build, deliver, and support online graduate programs and certificates for working adults. Our industry-leading short courses, offered by GetSmarter®, are designed to equip lifelong learners with in-demand career skills. To learn more about 2U and No Back Row®, visit 2U.com.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including a PTO allowance for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 12 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.