JOB TITLE: Technical Artist (Shaders)
LOCATION: Brno or Prague, Czech Republic or Brighton, UK
FUNCTION: Technical Art
REPORTS TO: Lead Technical Artist
We are looking for an experienced Technical Artist to help create and maintain a set of shaders for environments, characters, and other. This is an amazing opportunity to work side-by-side with the finest talent working in game development today.
Job Responsibilities Will Include:
- Work with Engineering to understand technical requirements and limitations of engine and hardware and expectations.
- Work with Art, Design, and VFX to understand the content needs of the game.
- Work with content creators and engineers to create real-time shaders for both the in-house game engine and the Unreal engine.
- Assist with render performance profiling to identify problems and introduce optimizations.
- 2+ years of experience in a Technical Art related field.
- At least one released title on the current or previous console generation (gen8, gen9), preferably AAA.
- Strong knowledge of HLSL, GLSL, or experience with Unreal material editor. Example shaders would be appreciated.
- Knowledge of current real-time render techniques.
- Good level of understanding of material authoring for physically based rendering pipelines.
- Experience with other in-house or public shader editors.
- Ability to work independently with a high level of autonomy.
- Up-to-date knowledge of “next-gen” game art currently leading in the market
- Strong ability to learn new areas of development.
- Proven ability to work well within a team atmosphere.
- Active communication skills with a professional level of English proficiency.
- Knowledge of linear algebra.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of Python or other scripting languages.
- BS / BA degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Graphic Arts, Art, or a related field preferred.
- Knowledge of at least one DCC package - 3DS Max, Maya, or Blender.
- Experience in VFX and dynamics
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic), working collaboratively as one team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to Bravely Create on big-budget, AAA console titles in a diverse and inclusive environment. At Hangar 13, we want people driven by curiosity — Visionaries who aren’t afraid to explore new territory. Intrepid individuals who embrace the weird, the challenging, the unconventional. We’re continuing to build a space that empowers you to take risks and redefine what’s possible, Where your inquisitive nature is nourished — A home for people who aren’t satisfied with what is, but who are obsessed by what could be. So bring your talent, Your unique point-of-view, Your fearless tenacity, And together, we’ll Bravely Create
Located in the south-east part of the Czech Republic, just a 2-hour drive from Prague, 3 hrs from Budapest and mere 90 minutes from Vienna, surrounded by vineyards from the south-east and highlands from the north-west, Brno is a comfortable place to live and work. This Czech Republic´s second largest city offers everything you need without the big city rush - modern architecture, perfect cuisine, award-winning bars, and diverse countryside.
Located in the heart of Europe, with its enchanting historical centre and magic energy, Prague is one of the world's most stunning cities. The Hangar 13 office is based in the city centre, just a few minutes from the Old Town and its famous astronomical clock. Cultural events, vibrant nightlife, sports and leisure time activities, beautiful nature – all just a few steps away.
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com and hangar13games.com accounts.