JOB TITLE: Lead Character Artist
LOCATION: Brno, Czech Republic
REPORTS TO: Art Director
What We Need:
We are looking for a hardworking and experienced Lead Character Artist to join our team and bring expertise, motivation, and a mature skill set. S/he leads the team of character artists and defines, develops and maintains high-end-run game characters. They will work closely with the Art Director and leaders of Art, Technical Art, Animation, Cutscenes, Code, and QA departments to build the greatest impression in the final game.
We use the latest technologies so that our artists can accurately express their intentions. Together, we try to make our characters seem alive and believable, so users have riveting experiences from playing our games.
What You Will Do:
- Lead the character art team
- Collaborate with other leaders (especially animators and cutscene editors).
- Supervising and training less experienced colleagues.
- Adapt to the concept and style of the project.
- Develop and co-develop new character related pipelines
- Build the best possible high-poly and low-poly 3D character models from concept art and reference materials.
- You will build character textures, clothing, hair, and styling all based on likeness.
- Keep the finished models working.
- Self-education in terms of graphics and keeping track of the latest trends in the given field.
Who We Believe Will Be A Good Fit:
- Well presented portfolio demonstrating strong artistic abilities.
- Proven experience in the game industry and at least one released project.
- Leadership skills and experience, ability to take charge and empower others.
- Phenomenal knowledge of Maya (or 3ds Max), ZBrush, Substance Painter, and Photoshop
- Practised knowledge of human anatomy, facial expressions and the ability to capture personality.
- Excellent knowledge of sculpting, drawing or painting in the classic technique
- Advanced written and spoken English
- Secondary school or university degree at Graphic Arts or equivalent demonstrated experience and knowledge
- Knowledge of computer games
Nice To Have:
- Experience with Substance Designer
- Experience with some tracking/scheduling tools (Hansoft, Jira, Shotgun, Trello, …)
- Interest in developing video games
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic), working collaboratively as one team.
Each of our locations provides the opportunity to Bravely Create on big-budget, AAA console titles in a diverse and inclusive environment.
At Hangar 13, we want people driven by curiosity — Visionaries who aren’t afraid to explore new territory. Intrepid individuals who embrace the weird, the challenging, the unconventional.
We’re continuing to build a space that empowers you to take risks and redefine what’s possible,
Where your inquisitive nature is nourished —
A home for people who aren’t satisfied with what is, but who are obsessed by what could be.
So bring your talent,
Your unique point-of-view, Your fearless tenacity,
And together, we’ll Bravely Create.
Located in the south-east part of the Czech Republic, just a 2-hour drive from Prague, 3 hrs from Budapest and a mere 90 minutes from Vienna, surrounded by vineyards from the south-east and highlands from the north-west, Brno is a comfortable place to live and work. The Czech Republic´s second-largest city offers everything you need without the big city rush - modern architecture, perfect cuisine, award-winning bars, and diverse countryside.
If you are interested in this job opportunity, send us your CV in English, a short letter of motivation in English with an explanation of why you are interested in this particular job, and a link to your online portfolio/website with your current work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com, hangar13games.com and 2kczech.com