JOB TITLE: Lead Material Artist
LOCATION: Brighton, United Kingdom
REPORTS TO: Art Director
What We Need:
We are looking for a talented Material artist to join our team. Someone to help us create library of next gen materials to use in our projects. S/he will lead and guide team of material artists and in collaboration with the Art Director, define, develop and maintain the game library of base materials for both environment and character assets. The Lead Material Artist works closely with Lead Environment Artist and Lead Character Artist to create the best possible result in the final game and with Production to set realistic goals for milestone deliverables and supervise their progress.
What You Will Do:
- Work with the Lead Environment Artist and Lead Character Artist to create all necessary base materials that fulfill technical and visual requirements
- Oversee and improve studio material creation pipelines including exploration of new techniques and technologies
- Supervise all members of Material art team including task assignments and feedback, regular performance reviews and training of less experienced colleagues
- Participate in hiring process for new Material team candidates
- Adapt to the concept and style of the project
- Collaborate with other Art departments
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
- Impressive portfolio demonstrating strong artistic abilities
- Minimum five years of experience in game industry and at least one released project
- Excellent knowledge Substance Designer and Zbrush
- Excellent knowledge of PBR texturing pipelines
- Excellent knowledge of sculpting, drawing or painting in the classic technique
- Advanced written and spoken English
- Secondary school or university degree at Graphic Arts or equivalent demonstrated experience and knowledge
- Knowledge of computer games
Nice To Have:
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4/5
- Experience with Photogrammetry
- Experience with 3ds Max, Maya or other modelling software
- Experience with some tracking/scheduling tool (Jira, Shotgun, Trello, etc)
- Interest in developing video games
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic), working collaboratively as one team.
Each of our locations provides the opportunity to Bravely Create on big-budget, AAA console titles in a diverse and inclusive environment.
At Hangar 13, we want people driven by curiosity — Visionaries who aren’t afraid to explore new territory. Intrepid individuals who embrace the weird, the challenging, the unconventional.
We’re continuing to build a space that empowers you to take risks and redefine what’s possible,
Where your inquisitive nature is nourished —
A home for people who aren’t satisfied with what is, but who are obsessed by what could be.
So bring your talent,
Your unique point-of-view, Your fearless tenacity,
And together, we’ll Bravely Create
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com and hangar13games.com accounts.