JOB TITLE: UI Engineer
What We Need:
Firaxis Games is seeking a talented user interface (UI) engineer to work on the implementation of interfaces for console and PC games. You'll have frequent interactions with Game Designers, Interface Artists, Interface Designers, and other engineers on the UI, game, and graphics teams to realize a visually compelling and user-friendly interface for our titles.
What You Will Do:
- Build and support modern, high quality user interface pieces spec’d from designers
- Build, maintain and enhance the underlying architecture of the UI system
- Participate in code reviews of team peers and contractors
- Profile and determine appropriate optimizations within code
- Document systems at appropriate detail levels for internal and external (modders) consumption
- Stay current on trends and technology in UI/UX and bring that to bear to improve our pipelines and products
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
- 2+ years experience programming and debugging C++ in a Visual Studio environment
- Ability to, document, and develop interface screens, components, and systems
- Comfortable with iterative design and development
- A good understanding of algorithms, memory, and CPU usage
- Working with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), HTML, and the DOM
- Having worked in Visual Studio Code
- Knowledge of SASS (SCSS)
- Knowledgeable of console interface design fundamentals
- Familiarity in working with Touch Input systems
- Familiarity with usability testing practices and UI heuristics
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience in Computer Science or HID
- Shipped AAA title(s) from the entire project timeline
Who We Are:
MAKE LIFE EPIC
Founded in 1996, Firaxis Games is a world-renowned game development studio with an unwavering mission to “build games that stand the test of time”. The name Firaxis, a fusion of “fiery” and “axis,” communicates the company’s dynamic development process that results in the creation of ground breaking titles with unparalleled gameplay delivered to gamers around the world. Under the creative direction of industry legend Sid Meier, Firaxis has released dozens of hit games on multiple platforms and is recognized as an industry leader in game development.
Let gameplay drive decision making
Deliver great work for the studio, the team & yourself
Maintain an environment where people are happy
Find opportunities to contribute and collaborate
Put effort where it pays off the most
Named World’s #1 Developer of the Year by Game Informer Magazine in 2012, Firaxis is very proud of its legacy of developing award winning titles. We have won multiple BAFTAs, D.I.C.E Awards, Game of the Year titles, and category awards (from “Best Strategy Game” to “Best PC Game”) across our products.
Additionally, our company was also featured in SmartCEO’s “Best-Run Book” for company culture and praised for a focus on “family, fun and flexibility.” Firaxis was also named a finalist in SmartCEO’s Healthiest Company Awards for 2016.
Firaxis Games prides itself on maintaining a quality of life inside and outside the studio – when our team members are happy and healthy, creativity can flourish. We offer boot camp fitness and yoga classes at the office, a free gym with shower, regularly catered lunches and breakfasts, biweekly Friday Happy Hours, company events and parties, and a “FunZone” complete with billiards, foosball, video games, and tabletop gaming space. We are also a philanthropic studio and offer employees the chance to volunteer with local charities and nonprofits throughout the year.
Fulltime employees can also take advantage of Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, 401K retirement savings, a wellbeing initiative with the opportunity to earn cash rewards, an Employee Assistance Program, and paid time off and paid holidays.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use Firaxis.com, 2K.com, and hangar13games.com accounts.