Cloud Chamber is looking for an inspired and collaborative Lead Systems Designer to join our team and help shape the world of BioShock. We would appreciate someone who has a well-developed sense of how game systems connect and enhance one another in an emergent sandbox world, as well as for the player-facing signs and feedback that are required for an intuitive player experience. We appreciate designers with keen interest in the ways in which player tools (including weapons and abilities) complement one another; interact with the game’s larger ecology; and can be leveraged to both promote and reward player experimentation and mastery. In addition, we value designers whose first inclination is to say “yes” to the player whenever possible, and regard edge cases as opportunities to increase the elasticity of the game’s simulation first, and as inconveniences to eliminate only as a last resort.
- Manage a team of designers entrusted to create interactive world systems and non-AI systemic ecology
- Supervise relevant multi-disciplinary work pods in the development and presentation of features and prototypes
- Create feature specifications and curate relevant design documentation
- Lead the design efforts for player-growth systems and progression
- Oversee the game balance and economy systems
- Support and mentor designers in their career progression
- Work with producers to manage schedules and milestone deliverables
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Shipped at least one AAA project as a senior or lead designer, and appreciate the complexity of taking an idea from concept to ship
- You have experience managing process and a history of leading by example
- Experience managing globally distributed teams
- Self-motivated with an eye for solution-based problem solving
- Excellent communications skills: verbal, written and visual
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage competing priorities
- Collaborative, compassionate, and authentic
- Curious and excited about game design theory and pushing the medium forward
- And of course, we're looking for someone who knows, loves and plays games
We are Cloud Chamber: a collaborative team of inspired minds who create games together. We strive to make unique, entertaining, and thoughtful game experiences that engage the world.
We believe in the beauty and strength of diversity, in both the makeup of the studio and the nature of our thinking. Our focus on open communication and overall well-being allows each of us to strive for excellence in our work, and happiness in our lives.
We’re currently making the next BioShock. Our passion and love for this iconic franchise is what brought us together. The thrill and responsibility of creating the next iteration of such a beloved game is what keeps us going.
If all of this sounds as exciting to you as it is to us we’d love to meet you! Join us in creating worlds that move people.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never use instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews. When emailing prospective employees we only use 2K.com email accounts.