JOB TITLE: Principal Animator
LOCATION: Novato, CA
REPORTS TO: Lead Animator
What We Need:
We are looking for a Principal Facial Animator with extensive experience developing keyframe animations as well as working with Motion Capture animations. As a Principal Animator, you will not simply animate; you will set the standard for animation excellence both on the game you work on as well as the studio you work at, leading by doing, inspiring by iterating, and delivering by technical excellence.
What You Will Do:
- Create both keyframe and mocap driven facial animations that set the standard for character animation on both creatures and bipeds.
- Work with technical artists, technical animators, Character TD and engineers to define tools, pipeline, and technology updates.
- Collaborate with the Animation Lead to set the standard for quality across the animation team
- Drive designers and character modelers to understand your vision for the character animation and how you want to bring it into life
- Define character animation at every stage, from concept to animatics and to actual animations
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
- An animator passionate about working on industry-defining titles that push your abilities and define true to life characters and creatures.
- Impressive animation reel demonstrating strong animation ability.
- Exceptional understanding of facial animation for various types of emotions, complementing activities of and typical for the characters. Ability to analyze, capture, and reproduce these expressions.
- Expert knowledge of Maya and/or Motion Builder.
- Comfortable working within studio developed engines and tools.
- A keyframe specialist who loves the challenge of unique rigs and character designs.
- Degree in Computer Animation or related experience.
- 3+ years of experience working with keyframe or mocap animation in games or film.
- Strong creative and technical problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of classic animation principles, body mechanics, acting, posing, and storytelling techniques.
- Ability to work independently in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively.
- Ability to set the vision and help to explain it both within the studio and across other studio locations. Communicative knowledge of English.
Nice to Have:
- At least two shipped AAA titles where animations you created helped to define character and/or creature movement and abilities.
- Experience with some tracking/scheduling tool (Hansoft, Jira, Shotgun, Trello, etc.).
- Knowledge of computer games.
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic), working collaboratively as one team.
Each of our locations provides the opportunity to Bravely Create on big-budget, AAA console titles in a diverse and inclusive environment.
At Hangar 13, we want people driven by curiosity — Visionaries who aren’t afraid to explore new territory. Intrepid individuals who embrace the weird, the challenging, the unconventional.
We’re continuing to build a space that empowers you to take risks and redefine what’s possible,
Where your inquisitive nature is nourished —
A home for people who aren’t satisfied with what is, but who are obsessed by what could be.
So bring your talent,
Your unique point-of-view, Your fearless tenacity,
And together, we’ll Bravely Create.
Located just 30 minutes north of San Francisco and 30 minutes south of Napa Valley wine country, Hangar 13’s Novato location has found its home within 2K’s headquarters in Northern California. Situated in Hamilton Landing inside a renovated United States Air Force base hangar, you will find our talented and passionate team within invigorating Marin County. You can walk out the door and explore famous hiking and mountain biking trails as well as the gorgeous coastline. In addition to working in an exceptional setting conducive to Hangar 13’s inclusive and creatively diverse work environment, the Bay Area also provides employees with access to vibrant nightlife, world-class cuisine, local farmers markets, great public schools, and cultural metropolitan experiences. Onsite amenities include fully equipped break areas, company sponsored food trucks and raffle prizes, new state of the art gym, subsidized fitness classes and massage therapy, electric car charging stations and much more! We are only 5 minutes off of highway 101 and a 15-minute walk from the nearest SMART station.