JOB TITLE: Narrative Director
LOCATION: Novato, US
FUNCTION: Game Design/Writer
REPORTS TO: Game Director
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for a Narrative Director to drive narrative vision, and work with the narrative and design departments to create best-in-class stories, characters, and content for our current project.
Because of our studio's emphasis on narrative, and the overwhelmingly positive response to the narrative of Mafia III, this is an exciting and unique opportunity to work on a new Hangar 13 project and help to build a new Narrative team.
What You Will Do:
- Work with the Game Director to define and champion the project narrative pillars and vision
- Interview and make hiring decisions on full-time and contract narrative designers and writers
- Manage, guide and mentor a team of narrative designers and writers (full-time and contract) across multiple locations and timezones.
- Own and drive the creation and execution of the core story including the writing of dialogue and other narrative elements
- Collaborate with the design team in both the design and implementation of narrative content/briefs using game tools
- Represent the game's narrative vision to other departments during brainstorm sessions, reviews, and other meetings as necessary
- Provide meaningful and valid feedback to the narrative team and design during play sessions
- Drive casting and direct/attend VO and performance capture sessions as necessary
- Help drive the development of narrative and cinematic tools
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
You love stories. You love consuming them, you love creating them, and you love dissecting them. An appreciation for multiple genres (not just fantasy and sci-fi) is preferred. You can pull examples of best writing practices from movies, TV, novels, and games. You have a strong desire to elevate the craft of writing in video games. For this project we are looking for someone who has experience with complex narratives, ensemble casts and interwoven side-plots. We are also looking for someone with experience with ongoing seasonal content added to the game after release.
- Credit on at least two shipped video games as a LEAD NARRATIVE DESIGNER, lead writer or other creative lead (similar experience in a related industry will also be considered)
- Must have strong writing skills, particularly dialogue
- Must have a deep understanding of story logic, plotting, and how narrative and game design intersect
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations and timezones effectively
- Ability to delegate (without micromanaging)
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive environment!
Located just 30 minutes north of San Francisco and 30 minutes south of Napa Valley wine country, Hangar 13’s Novato location has found its home within 2K’s headquarters in Northern California. Situated in Hamilton Landing inside a renovated United States Air Force base hangar, you will find our talented and passionate team within invigorating Marin County. You can walk out the door and explore famous hiking and mountain biking trails as well as the gorgeous coastline. In addition to working in an exceptional setting conducive to Hangar 13’s inclusive and creatively diverse work environment, the Bay Area also provides employees with access to vibrant nightlife, world-class cuisine, local farmers markets, great public schools, and cultural metropolitan experiences. Onsite amenities include fully equipped break areas, company sponsored food trucks and raffle prizes, new state of the art gym, subsidized fitness classes and massage therapy, electric car charging stations and much more! We are only 5 minutes off of highway 101 and a 15-minute walk from the nearest SMART station.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com and hangar13games.com accounts.