JOB TITLE: Narrative Director
LOCATION: Brighton, UK
FUNCTION: Game Design/Writer
REPORTS TO: Game Director
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for a Narrative Director to drive narrative vision, and work with the narrative and design departments to create best-in-class stories, characters, and content for our current project.
Because of our studio's emphasis on narrative, and the overwhelmingly positive response to the narrative of Mafia III, this is an exciting and unique opportunity to work on a new Hangar 13 project and help to build a new Narrative team.
What You Will Do:
- Work with the Game Director to define and champion the project narrative pillars and vision
- Interview and make hiring decisions on full-time and contract narrative designers and writers
- Manage, guide and mentor a team of narrative designers and writers (full-time and contract) across multiple locations and timezones.
- Own and drive the creation and execution of the core story including the writing of dialogue and other narrative elements
- Collaborate with the design team in both the design and implementation of narrative content/briefs using game tools
- Represent the game's narrative vision to other departments during brainstorm sessions, reviews, and other meetings as necessary
- Provide meaningful and valid feedback to the narrative team and design during play sessions
- Drive casting and direct/attend VO and performance capture sessions as necessary
- Help drive the development of narrative and cinematic tools
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
You love stories. You love consuming them, you love creating them, and you love dissecting them. An appreciation for multiple genres (not just fantasy and sci-fi) is preferred. You can pull examples of best writing practices from movies, TV, novels, and games. You have a strong desire to elevate the craft of writing in video games. For this project we are looking for someone who has experience with complex narratives, ensemble casts and interwoven side-plots. We are also looking for someone with experience with ongoing seasonal content added to the game after release.
- Credit on at least two shipped video games as a LEAD NARRATIVE DESIGNER, lead writer or other creative lead (similar experience in a related industry will also be considered)
- Must have strong writing skills, particularly dialogue
- Must have a deep understanding of story logic, plotting, and how narrative and game design intersect
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations and timezones effectively
- Ability to delegate (without micromanaging)
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive environment!
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.