JOB TITLE: Lead Multiplayer Systems Designer
REPORTS TO: Game Director
What We Need:
You are the junction point of multiple design disciplines, the holder of a cohesive vision, strong analytical skills, and the ability to interpret large amounts of data and decipher the right knobs to turn to give players a fantastic online experience.
Ultimately, you will report directly to the Game Director and be responsible for leading the overall design effort for our online features; to include defining matchmaking requirements and algorithms, holding the vision for major online features such as guilds or live events, working with the systems team to ensure online play tuning and balance, and collaborating with art and design leads to put together future content roadmaps.
Your Excel is strong, your systems design is top notch, and your knowledge of major online systems is unparalleled. You are exactly the designer we need for an exciting new AAA IP at Hangar 13 games.
What You Will Do:
- Collaborate closely with the Game Director, Design Director, and other Design Leads to drive the vision for the major systems and features for a robust online multiplayer experience.
- Create expert level creative vision and technical guidance for our online gameplay experience, to include matchmaking systems, ELO algorithms and theories, and game content updates.
- Grow a strong team of designers to assist you with the implementation of these major systems, and work closely with the game’s user experience, systems, combat, and content teams to ensure a cohesive player experience.
- Communicate with Leads and Directors of other disciplines, particularly engineering, and ensure that everyone is on the same page before beginning online features and systems development.
- Advocate for the player at all times, putting the online player experience first when considering and making all design decisions.
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
A can-do attitude that is player oriented…online design is one of the most technical areas of design, but you remember that simplicity is often a player’s best friend.
- At least two shipped AAA titles where you worked in an online or systems design capacity
- Expert knowledge of off-the-shelf design tools, and expertise with proprietary design toolsets
- Professional understanding of the many major online features found in contemporary game titles, and a keen know-how for how those features work.
- Leadership skills that include truly caring about the career growth of those that work for you and around you
- Strong creative and technical problem solving skills
- Exceptional communication skills
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia franchise. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive environment!
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.