JOB TITLE: Hard Surface Artist
LOCATION: Brighton, U.K.
REPORTS TO: Lead Hard Surface Artist
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for a talented Hard Surface Artist with a stunning portfolio that demonstrates expertise in hard surface modelling, but also strong with organic forms. We expect you to have a passion for games as well as demonstrate a clear knowledge of current modelling and texturing practices. This is an amazing opportunity to work side-by-side with great talent at Hangar 13’s Brighton, UK, location and work on an exciting new AAA IP.
What You Will Do:
- Work with the Lead Hard Surface Artist, Designers & all involved disciplines to create production quality assets matching the art style of the game.
- Create a wide range of high-quality assets (high-poly and low-poly versions) and ensure their efficient integration into the game.
- Work extensively with the technical art team on certain aspects of the project which will involve the iteration of assets & collaboration across multiple locations.
- Sketch in 3D and iterate in the design phases in order to give visibility to all involved parties.
Who We Think Will Be a Good Fit:
You love playing video games and are passionate about their potential as a narrative medium. You work well with others and appreciate that the creative process is a team effort. When inspiration hits you, you’re the type to grab a pad or jump on your PC to sketch out your ideas, and you’re adept at communicating even the more complex designs to others. Even though you’re an experienced modeller, you’re always looking at ways to push yourself and take your skills to the next level.
- You have an excellent portfolio demonstrating creative flair & strong technical abilities.
- Experience in a Hard Surface or similar role with a minimum 3 years in the game industry working on AAA titles - preferably with at least one shipped title
- Extensive experience modelling in 3DSMax & Maya and experience using Zbrush.
- You have a good sense of scale, proportion & distribution of detail.
- Strong UV unwrapping and mapping skills.
- A good understanding of mechanical engineering, functionality, and design.
- You have experience and feel comfortable working on more organic forms & assets.
- Experience using Photoshop and Substance Painter/Designer & a good understanding of PBR workflows.
- A good knowledge and understanding of modern game art pipelines and methodologies.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across multiple locations and time zones in a clear and efficient manner.
- You are a good team player with a positive attitude and a high degree of self-motivation and initiative.
- Good time management skills with the ability to prioritise tasks & communicate clearly & constructively with Production.
Nice to Have:
- Some CAD modelling experience.
- Paintover experience for quick representation of feedback.
- Understanding of how rigging works in Maya.
- Experience with tracking & scheduling software and asset management software.
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia franchise. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive environment!
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile-long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.