JOB TITLE: Senior Technical Animator
LOCATION: Novato, Ca
REPORTS TO: Lead Technical Animator
What We Need:
We are looking for a talented Technical Animator who is adept at problem solving, and enthusiastic about working with the unique challenges and opportunities presented by proprietary tech. Candidates should be comfortable developing expandable pipelines, as well as implementing ad hoc fixes that are needed for rapid games animation prototyping. They should also be comfortable adapting to novel animation systems and be able to aid in the implementation of new animation technology. Most importantly, we are looking for someone that is responsive, self-initiating, and works well with others.
What You Will Do:
- Collaborate interdepartmentally to establish, refine, and optimize animation pipelines and procedures.
- Create Animation and Art tools for artists and animators, using relevant scripting languages such as Python.
- Work with all aspects of the animation export and implementation pipeline.
- Work with animators to resolve any roadblocks to their workflow.
- Work with TDs to integrate final and intermediate rigs in game.
- Manage online Animation databases, including cleaning up of obsolete data and optimizing workflow.
- Communicate with Design and Engineering to better anticipate and advise on animation related technical issues.
- Help generate and set up assets needed for the game’s animation systems. This includes overlays, mirror tables, and character templates, as well as designing animation system flow through visual scripting.
- Create visual scripts for world interactions.
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
- Expert knowledge of Maya, Motionbuilder, or similar 3D package.
- Experience with building animation systems such as Animation Blueprints, Mecanim, Morpheme, or comparable systems.
- Experience managing and updating animation pipeline tools.
- 5+ years’ experience working in the games industry with a focus on animation game systems.
- Strong creative and technical problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently in a team environment.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to collaborate across multiple locations effectively.
- Comfortable with industry standard scripting language such as Python MEL script, LUA, etc.
- Familiar with Havok and or FBX SDK.
Nice to haves:
- 1-3 Shipped AAA games.
- Degree in Computer Animation, Computer Science, or related degree.
- Comfortable with version control software, particularly Perforce.
- Familiar with asset/ Task tracking clients like JIRA and Shotgun.
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic).
We work collaboratively across our 4 locations to develop games as one global team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console in a diverse and inclusive environment!
Located just 30 minutes north of San Francisco and 30 minutes south of Napa Valley wine country, Hangar 13’s Novato location has found its home within 2K’s headquarters in Northern California. Situated in Hamilton Landing inside a renovated United States Air Force base hangar, you will find our talented and passionate team within invigorating Marin County. You can walk out the door and explore famous hiking and mountain biking trails as well as the gorgeous coastline. In addition to working in an exceptional setting conducive to Hangar 13’s inclusive and creatively diverse work environment, the Bay Area also provides employees with access to vibrant nightlife, world-class cuisine, local farmers markets, great public schools, and cultural metropolitan experiences. Onsite amenities include fully equipped break areas, company sponsored food trucks and raffle prizes, new state of the art gym, subsidized fitness classes and massage therapy, electric car charging stations and much more! We are only 5 minutes off of highway 101 and a 15-minute walk from the nearest SMART station.