JOB TITLE: Senior Writer
LOCATION: Brighton, UK
REPORTS TO: Narrative Director
What We Need:
The narrative team at Hangar 13 is looking for a Writer to work closely with the Narrative Director, the writing team and the design department to create best-in-class stories, characters, and content for our current project.
Because of our studio's emphasis on narrative, and the overwhelmingly positive response to the narrative of Mafia III, this is an exciting and unique opportunity to become a founding member of a new Hangar 13 team.
What You Will Do:
- Assist in the creation and execution of the core story including the writing of dialogue and other narrative elements as directed.
- Brainstorm primary and secondary mission content with design. Represent the narrative department and its pillars during those conversations
- Own and drive specific areas of narrative content. Create and maintain all related documentation
- Collaborate with the design team in both the design and implementation of narrative content/briefs using game tools
- Represent the game's narrative vision to other departments during brainstorm sessions, reviews, and other meetings as necessary
- Provide meaningful and valid feedback to the narrative team and design during play sessions
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
You love stories. You love consuming them, you love creating them, and you love dissecting them. An appreciation for multiple genres (not just fantasy and sci-fi) is preferred. You can pull examples of best writing practices from movies, TV, novels, and games. You have a strong desire to elevate the craft of writing in video games.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Credit on at least two shipped video games as a writer or narrative designer (similar experience in a related industry will also be considered)
- Must have strong writing skills, particularly in regards to dialogue
- Must have a deep understanding of story logic, plotting, and how narrative and game design intersect
- Ability to work in a style or genre that matches the tone and quality established other writers. Must take direction well and be willing to revise work to meet internal quality standards
- Past experience working with actors and directing VO sessions
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced deadline driven environment
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia franchise. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.” We are comprised of a diverse group of people, from industry veterans with experience working on big franchises, to talented former indie entrepreneurs and recent graduates. Hangar 13 is based in four vibrant locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic). We are currently hard at work on our next AAA titles.
This role is based within our brand new Brighton location, who will partner with the other Hangar 13 sites in California and the Czech Republic to develop all of our future games as one global team. Led by General Manager Nick Baynes, Hangar 13’s Brighton location provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console and PC games using bleeding-edge proprietary engine technology.
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.