Head of Software Engineering (Senior Director or V.P.)
Located in Novato (Austin location is also acceptable)
Who We Are:
2K develops and publishes interactive entertainment globally for console systems, handheld gaming devices and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets. 2K is a leading publisher of today’s most popular gaming genres and most well-known for critically acclaimed game franchises like NBA 2K, WWE 2K, Bioshock, Borderlands, Evolve, XCOM, and the beloved Sid Meier’s Civilization.
What We Need:
2K is looking for an experienced Head of Software Engineering to lead our server and client infrastructure engineering team on our Central Technology group. You will manage a team of high performing engineers, and work closely with cross-functional partners to ensure that 2k’s Central Tech infrastructure supports the future direction of 2k products and business. The ideal candidate will have great technical depth in the field of distributed system, cloud computing, and client/server infrastructure, exceptional operational and people management skills, and a high level of integrity. The success of this role hinges on your technical aptitude, quantitative abilities and business acumen. You treat stakeholders as a partnership – you are there from ideation to execution and understand that we only succeed if we succeed together.
The Head of Software Engineering will exercise excellent technical oversight and judgement, along with the ability to prioritize and lead the team to execute through cross-organizational projects, across locations. There would be a strong focus on collaboration and partnership with our senior leadership team and studio heads.
What You Will Do:
- Collaborate with the 2K Publishing Game Studios to understand business goals and build server/client infrastructure that helps us achieve these goals.
- Understand workloads and provide a meticulous process to triage and resolve critical customer issues to uphold trust and provide business value.
- Guide and grow the team through design directions for achieving high scale, reliability, customer trust and development velocity.
- Drive operational excellence with development processes that lead to the team consistently delivering projects on time, in scope and in budget.
- Evolve the system and the product to enable high-performance workloads.
- Provide clear communication with teams, partners and management to ensure proactive resolution of potential challenges as they arise.
- Lead by example, strengthening our culture of innovation, diversity and inclusion, customer focus, operational excellence, and continued process improvement.
Who We Think Will Be a Great Fit:
The successful candidate will be a seasoned and tenacious leader with experience in both software engineering and technology. They will possess the ability to communicate and coordinate across a distributed technology organization, partnering closely with game development functions and coordinating with a team of software engineers across the business.
This executive must be able to navigate a dynamic, fast-paced enterprise environment dealing with multiple internal and external customers and senior management while managing both traditional and virtual teams.
- This executive brings with them a minimum of fifteen years of experience in software engineering while growing and leading technical teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with building and operating highly durable storage systems that hosts business-critical data.
- Experience in the gaming industry or media/entertainment is highly desired.
- Experience in engineering and operating global large scale distributed systems.
- Experience with game development platforms and processes, building architecture on AWS at scale and experience/knowledge with micro-services architecture.