About the role:
Culinary excellence and our hospitality, internally and externally, is the core of our operation, and you are responsible for learning and maintaining the highest standards and sharing them with our team and our guests daily. The Line Cook will prepare for and execute busy, successful services with attention to detail and a great attitude in all acts and all areas. With a genuine love for food and hunger for education, your role is ever changing and you thrive in the heat of service. The Line Cook acts as an integral part of the restaurant team during service and is constantly looking for ways to improve service, help out their team, and have fun while doing it all. We are looking for Line Cooks who want to grow in our brigade, learn more about cooking and farming exceptional produce, and desire to be part of a close knit and excellence seeking team.
- Manage your prep list and communicate with your Sous Chefs and Chef on food inventory, daily mise, and ensuring the walk-ins are fully-stocked and organized.
- Properly execute our ever changing menu.
- Own restaurant cleanliness by setting up the opening shift for success and closing with confidence that the team is prepared for the next day.
- Follow all health department standards and always seek ways to help the kitchen run in a more organized, clean, and efficient way.
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Work with a fast-paced environment, communicating with your team and your leadership to ensure culinary excellence at all times.
- Demonstrate professional maturity, a team-first approach, and hospitality in all your decisions.
- Have the opportunity to influence our menu and create dishes as we continue to grow and evolve.
- 2+ years of line cook experience in a fast-paced, full-service, and up-scale dining restaurant.
- Great team dynamic and ability to maintain positive attitude during high intensity experiences.
- Strong work ethic with dedication to the highest standards of quality.
- Effective team communication skills.
- A can-do attitude and the willingness to pitch in to help the team whenever necessary.
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position (lift up to 50lbs).
- Food Safety Certification, preferred.
- A passion for real, good food.
Dig is a farm-to-table food company with over 25 locations in New York and the Northeast, serving seasonal vegetables and culinary comfort food on an urban scale. We are excited to be opening our first sit down restaurant in the west village in the fall of 2019!
The company is built on a culture of driven curiosity and ambitious innovation, finding and implementing new solutions to offering a simple, healthy, affordable meal. Our mission is to build a better food system (one vegetable at a time) that offers a better deal to customers, cooks, and farmers alike.
Since getting started in 2011, we have focused on the essentials of our mission- building kitchens, training chefs, and developing one-on-one relationships with over 50 partner farms. The next few years will be a period of expansion, as we open in new cities and use the platform we’ve built for a better conversation around sourcing, cooking, and the business of food.
And did we mention free Dig for all employees? We strongly recommend the sweet potatoes.
Dig believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply. Dig is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related condition, sexual and reproductive health decisions, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence, or stalking, or any other legally protected status.
Physical Demands:While performing these job duties, the employee is regularly required to see, talk, hear, and reach. The employee is regularly required to sit, walk, and stand for long periods of time. The employee is required to use dominate hand coordination for simple grasping, pushing/pulling, and fine manipulation. The employee is also required to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, bend, squat, kneel, and reach above shoulder level. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Additional Information:This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position and does not contain all of the essential requirements and functions of the position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. This job description does not include all the duties that may be assigned to the employee and it may be revised from time to time with or without notice.
Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the restaurant which may include overtime, weekends and holidays. The employee will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the employee’s manager.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship. The employee will actively follow Dig Inn policies including Equal Opportunities policies and will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations.