About the role:
Your passion for hospitality and great food has lead you to an understanding of the systems that make a restaurant successful in the busiest of services. You love the heat of dinner service and thrive in finding organization and efficiency. The Expediter is the beating heart of the restaurant, working alongside the chef to connect the work of the kitchen with the work of the dining room – and create the cadence for each guests meal and each service as a whole. You love to move fast, see everything, and problem solve on your feet. As an expediter you believe in, and gain energy from, the power of a great team working together and love to build a team around you with whom you can trust and rely on. You have a never ending hunger for improving our systems and efficiency – but also love to run some food yourself and connect with the guests and the dining room team.
- Help to build, maintain, and constantly improve the culture of the restaurant and keep a focus on education and a great work environment. You should be an example of the type of person you want to work alongside every service.
- Thrive in the heat of service being able to multi-task and prioritize between multiple roles and responsibilities from running food to restocking plates and liaising with the dishwashers.
- Care for each guest, whether or not they even dine with us, and lead by example in the type of generous hospitality we want to be known for.
- Communicate constantly and efficiently with your entire team from back servers and servers to management, chefs, and maître d’s.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of the restaurant’s menu, it’s products and their source, and the details of the restaurant and neighborhood.
- Be constantly looking to deepen and expand your knowledge and experience.
- Be the face of hospitality at the core of the restaurant – helping to take care of, support, and have fun with the cooks and chefs, dining room team, and management.
- Achieve and maintain Department of Health Standards, holding your fellow teammates accountable and role-modeling cleanliness and organization throughout your station and the restaurant.
- 1 years minimum restaurant or food and beverage experience, ideally with experience in expediting, management, or culinary.
- A passion for real, good food and genuine hospitality.
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in whenever necessary.
- The discipline and desire to maintain systems and organization within fast changing environments.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to learn technological platforms and work systematically with them.
- An eye for detail.
- A flexible schedule, especially throughout the first six months of the opening.
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position (lift up to 50lbs).
- The desire for professional improvement and the process of learning.
- The drive to build strong ties in your restaurant’s community.
- The ability to take many variables to find the best solution to a problem.
- An organized approach to achieving team goals.
Dig is a farm-to-table food company with over 25 locations in New York and the Northeast, serving seasonal vegetables and culinary comfort food on an urban scale. We are excited to be opening our first sit down restaurant in the west village in the fall of 2019!
The company is built on a culture of driven curiosity and ambitious innovation, finding and implementing new solutions to offering a simple, healthy, affordable meal. Our mission is to build a better food system (one vegetable at a time) that offers a better deal to customers, cooks, and farmers alike.
Since getting started in 2011, we have focused on the essentials of our mission- building kitchens, training chefs, and developing one-on-one relationships with over 50 partner farms. The next few years will be a period of expansion, as we open in new cities and use the platform we’ve built for a better conversation around sourcing, cooking, and the business of food.
And did we mention free Dig for all employees? We strongly recommend the sweet potatoes.
Dig believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply. Dig is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related condition, sexual and reproductive health decisions, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence, or stalking, or any other legally protected status.
Physical Demands:While performing these job duties, the employee is regularly required to see, talk, hear, and reach. The employee is regularly required to sit, walk, and stand for long periods of time. The employee is required to use dominate hand coordination for simple grasping, pushing/pulling, and fine manipulation. The employee is also required to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, bend, squat, kneel, and reach above shoulder level. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Additional Information:This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position and does not contain all of the essential requirements and functions of the position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. This job description does not include all the duties that may be assigned to the employee and it may be revised from time to time with or without notice.
Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the restaurant which may include overtime, weekends and holidays. The employee will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the employee’s manager.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship. The employee will actively follow Dig Inn policies including Equal Opportunities policies and will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations.