About the role:
Culinary excellence and our hospitality, internally and externally, is the core of our operation, and you are responsible for teaching and maintaining the highest standards and the best environment for our team. The Sous Chef will lead our prep and line cook teams in preparing for and executing busy successful services with attention to detail in all areas. With a genuine love for food and education, your role is ever changing and you thrive in the heat of service. The Sous Chef acts as an integral leader during service and in the structure and oversight of the restaurant and it’s team. You will oversee multiple areas of the restaurant and a team of line cooks, prep cooks, and dishwashers. We are looking to have you on our team to build, grow, and develop this restaurant and it’s team.
- Be a founding architect in opening 232 Bleecker, Dig’s first sit down restaurant in the west village, including crafting kitchen and culinary practices and standards, training your team, and building and defining the restaurant.
- Manage your and your teams prep list and communicate with your Chef on food inventory, ordering, and ensuring all walk-ins are fully-stocked and organized.
- Motivate and develop your team by modeling culinary expertise and a good attitude.
- Speak to current menu offerings, seasonality, and what is coming from the farm with our guests and team members.
- Take ownership of restaurant cleanliness by setting up the opening shift for success and closing with confidence that the restaurant is prepared for the next day's operations.
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Work with a multifaceted environment, communicating with guests and your team to ensure excellence in our culinary offerings and our hospitality at all times.
- Demonstrate professional maturity and a constant desire to continually improve as a leader.
- Ensure that leadership team works to develop all team members and keep retention rates high and promotions frequent.
- Actively work to build restaurant business, regulars, and strong and consistent reservation bookings.
- Handle daily P&L responsibility- with attention to all labor costs.
- Oversee the culture of the restaurant and keep a focus on education and a great work environment.
- Achieve and maintain Department of Health Standards, holding your team accountable and role-modeling cleanliness and organization throughout the restaurant.
- Handle all employee relations communication (including disciplinary action).
- Recruit, interview, hire, and train a full team with an awareness for staffing needs and labor costs.
- Communicate verbally and digitally on a daily basis across various systemic and organizational platforms such as GoogleDrive, Deputy, Slack, Wrike, Revel, Paycom, etc.
- 2 - 3 years minimum restaurant management experience, ideally in a Sous role.
- A passion for real, good food and the leadership skills to operate a busy restaurant.
- The willingness to roll up your sleeves and pitch in whenever necessary.
- The demonstrated skills to motivate and develop a high performing team.
- The discipline and desire to create systems and organization within fast changing environments.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to learn technological platforms and work systematically with them.
- Familiarity with restaurant costing and POS, scheduling, and reservations software.
- An eye for detail.
- A flexible schedule, especially throughout the first six months of the opening.
- The ability to perform physical requirements of the position (lift up to 50lbs).
- The desire for professional improvement and the process of learning.
- The drive to network and build strong ties in your restaurant’s community.
- The ability to take many variables to find the best solution to a problem.
- An organized approach to achieving team goals.
- Proven tactics to successful operations in an evolving environment.
- Your Department of Health and/or ServSafe certification.
Work perks: Aside from your standard job description fare (competitive salary, medical, dental, vision) we also offer:
- Phone reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
Dig is a farm-to-table food company with over 25 locations in New York and the Northeast, serving seasonal vegetables and culinary comfort food on an urban scale. We are excited to be opening our first sit down restaurant in the west village in the fall of 2019!
The company is built on a culture of driven curiosity and ambitious innovation, finding and implementing new solutions to offering a simple, healthy, affordable meal. Our mission is to build a better food system (one vegetable at a time) that offers a better deal to customers, cooks, and farmers alike.
Since getting started in 2011, we have focused on the essentials of our mission- building kitchens, training chefs, and developing one-on-one relationships with over 50 partner farms. The next few years will be a period of expansion, as we open in new cities and use the platform we’ve built for a better conversation around sourcing, cooking, and the business of food.
And did we mention free Dig for all employees? We strongly recommend the sweet potatoes.
Dig believes in the power of a shared table to bring people together as we are committed to building a culturally inclusive team. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply. Dig is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related condition, sexual and reproductive health decisions, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence, or stalking, or any other legally protected status.
Physical Demands: While performing these job duties, the employee is regularly required to see, talk, hear, and reach. The employee is regularly required to sit, walk, and stand for long periods of time. The employee is required to use dominate hand coordination for simple grasping, pushing/pulling, and fine manipulation. The employee is also required to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, bend, squat, kneel, and reach above shoulder level. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Additional Information: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position and does not contain all of the essential requirements and functions of the position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor. This job description does not include all the duties that may be assigned to the employee and it may be revised from time to time with or without notice.
Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the restaurant which may include overtime, weekends and holidays. The employee will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the employee’s manager.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship. The employee will actively follow Dig Inn policies including Equal Opportunities policies and will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations.