We're looking for a Health Informatics Specialist with expertise in HL7, the Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) standard, JSON, and promoting interoperability. As a Health Informatics specialist, you'll play a vital role in connecting healthcare data standards with product and technology. You should have practical experience in designing, implementing, and maintaining FHIR-based solutions that enhance data exchange and interoperability in healthcare. You'll work independently and have a strong background in data management, including creating policies, and FHIR mappings, maintaining documentation, and establishing classification standards. You'll help define the standards for all data use cases the company pursues. Collaboration will be key, working closely with teams in Product, Engineering, Product Support, Implementation, and Customer Success. This role reports directly to the VP of Product.
What will you do:
- FHIR Implementation:
- Review Existing Extract Guides: Review and align current extract guides to industry Implementation Guides (IG)
- Define Ideal Data Guides: Create clear data guides and FHIR output based on the findings from the previous step.
- Define Data Contracts: Specify required fields in data extracts to ensure compliance with IGs.
- Create Mapping Templates: Develop templates for mapping extract guide files to FHIR for each guide. These templates should represent complete resources if each data element is received in the expected data format.
- Document Guidelines: Prepare documentation explaining any nuances or considerations when using the guide.
- Design Data Model: Collaborate with engineering teams to define data models, schemas, and formats for internal data representation and storage.
- Data Integration:
- Develop Integration Strategies: Create and maintain strategies for using FHIR to exchange claims and clinical data between different healthcare entities.
- Mapping and Transformation: Build data mappings, transformations, and data exchange protocols to support interoperability initiatives.
- Standards Compliance:
- Stay Informed: Keep up-to-date with the latest developments in FHIR and other relevant healthcare interoperability standards to ensure that data exchange follows the latest practices.
- Provide Guidance: Serve as a subject matter expert and offer guidance to internal teams to ensure they adhere to FHIR standards when developing systems.
- Quality Assurance:
- Thorough Testing: Conduct rigorous testing and validation of FHIR implementations to guarantee data accuracy, security, and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Education and Training:
- Training and Support: Provide training and support to internal teams and stakeholders on FHIR standards, best practices, and the use of FHIR-based tools.
- Documentation and Reporting:
- Comprehensive Documentation: Maintain detailed documentation of FHIR implementations, including data models, data dictionaries, and interface specifications.
What are our must haves:
- Depth of knowledge and practical experience with Health Data exchange standards (e.g., HL7, CCDA, FHIR, X12, BCDA, USCDI).
- Proficiency in interpreting Implementation Guides (IGs)
- Ability to convert source system data (e.g., HL7, CCDA) to FHIR standards
- Skill in using IGs to validate data transformation
- Practical experience with healthcare data, including data and terminology standards such as SNOMED CT, ICD, CPT, LOINC, UCUM, and RXNorm.
- Hands-on experience with both clinical and claims data sets (e.g., proficiency with 834, 837, X12, CCDA, and HL7 messages).
- Hands-on experience with SQL syntax is necessary for developing SQL queries for data retrieval and analytics, including knowledge of database structures for working with large datasets.
- Capability to perform gap analysis on IG versions and make recommendations for updates to the data transformation process
- Experience in creating and maintaining documentation related to data standards
- Experience with translating technical data requirements to internal and external stakeholders for implementation
- Practical knowledge of healthcare data transformation best practices
- Good understanding of the provider and payer healthcare space
- Strong execution skills, valuing iteration and rapid delivery, with an obsession for detail even when managing multiple projects concurrently
- Effective project management skills to oversee multiple initiatives running simultaneously
- Hands-on and self-starting approach, enjoying taking initiative and driving projects with minimal oversight
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills, enabling effective communication both internally and externally, and the ability to navigate complex relationships to achieve project goals
What are our nice-to-haves:
- HL7 FHIR and/or Clinical Informatics Certification
- Understanding of CMS interoperability requirements for compliance.
- Previous participation in industry groups (e.g., DaVinci HL7 FHIR, CARIN Alliance, FAST)
- Experience in identifying and assessing downstream use cases of healthcare data, with a focus on quality measures, risk adjustments, and utilization management.
1upHealth only uses email domains of First Name. Last Name@1up.health or email@example.com to communicate with prospects. You will never receive an email from a third-party email service such as gmail. In addition, we will never ask a candidate for employment to share personal information (such as banking information, social security numbers, passport, etc), purchase their own equipment, or pay to apply to an open position.