Seeking a seasoned entertainment production industry labor relations and compliance attorney with strong union/guild, industry association and studio relationships with a mix of law firm and in-house experience. Responsible for industry relations and the legal aspects of labor relations in the United States, Canada and Europe (primarily UK), including: co-managing relationships with the Labor Relations Operations department of unions, guilds and customers; participating and representing Cast & Crew in industry associations, organizations and boards; tracking and informing the company regarding legal developments related to labor relations and compliance matters; advising on the legal aspects or interpretation of collective bargaining agreements and other labor relations matters; acting as an advisor, collaborator and liaison with operations, product and IT teams. Also responsible for oversight of regulatory compliance efforts to track, analyze, advise on and address key matters and legislation related to the entertainment production industry and the company’s business, including federal, state and local legal and regulatory developments. Develop policies and procedures to promote accurate and compliant operational practices. Develop and conduct training programs related to industry relations and compliance topics.
- Act as a primary contact, in conjunction with C&C Labor Relations, for Cast & Crew with entertainment industry unions and guilds, associations or other applicable groups
- Liaise with key industry influencers to stay abreast of industry developments and represent Cast & Crew’s interests
- Maintain relationships with industry and labor relations teams internally, at studios, and other customers
- Represent Cast & Crew in industry related lobbying efforts, as appropriate
- Inform key constituencies within Cast & Crew regarding industry developments
- Coordinate with Labor Relations team regarding industry, labor relations and regulatory compliance developments
- Assist the Labor Relations team with interpretation and analysis of CBAs and legal and regulatory developments impacting the industry and Cast & Crew’s business and work with the Labor Relations team to advise on the operationalization of the same
- Act as SME and advisor on industry legal and regulatory matters
- Coordinate with internal Operations departments, external labor relations counsel and representatives at clients to address questions, resolve issues or in connection with payroll service agreements and related contract negotiations or disputes related to Cast & Crew’s products or services
- In consultation with the General Counsel and other members of the legal team, oversee the company’s regulatory compliance efforts in tracking, analyzing and coordinating implementation efforts related to legal and regulatory changes affecting the company’s busines
- Set up and monitor tracking tools and systems for legislative and regulatory activity in each of the jurisdictions where the company conducts business
- Coordinate and partner with Operations, Product, IT, HR, Finance and other departments in communicating legal and regulatory developments and assisting in development and implementation of appropriate responses
- Conduct training programs to educate various groups within the company regarding key compliance issues
- Act as an “ambassador” in driving a culture of compliance within the company
- Supervisor: General Counsel
- Subordinate(s): As Assigned
- J.D. and admission to the California bar or the ability to work as in-house counsel in California
- Minimum 8 years of increasingly responsible experience as an entertainment production industry attorney with specific focus on industry and labor relations
- A combination of experience at a law firm and major studio or union/guild/industry association
- Strong existing relationships with senior union/guild representatives and labor relations executives at studios
- Subject matter expertise regarding regulatory compliance areas applicable to entertainment payroll, including labor codes, wage and hour laws and employment laws and regulations.
- Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint required
- Ability to travel up to 15% of time
Skills and Abilities
- Effectively represent the Cast & Crew values and goals
- Outsized sense of urgency
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external constituencies
- Ability to build consensus and bring matters to resolution
- Ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- A competitive and collaborative spirit
Special Work Conditions
- Schedule must be flexible in order to accommodate client and business needs.
- Sedentary - Involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. Some positions may occasionally require exerting up to 30 lbs. of force and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, or pull.
- Cast & Crew provides a comprehensive package of employee benefits including: Medical, Dental, Life/AD&D; LTD, additional voluntary benefits such as STD, Vision, paid vacation, holidays, and sick pay; 401(k) and employer match, Additional Life Insurance, and other company perks and benefits!
Please note: Due to the high volume of applicants, it is likely that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About Cast & Crew
We enable great content. Films, television, streaming, live events. We make difficult tasks easier - think payroll, human resources, accounting, financial management and workflow. Great content is difficult enough, so we’ve built solutions and software and, most importantly, linked everything together through a central hub. In English, that means Cast & Crew solutions talk to each other, making those difficult tasks we listed above a whole lot easier and simpler. We do. So you can. Learn more at www.castandcrew.com
CA residents: Your personal information may be collected in connection with certain services provided by Cast & Crew or its affiliated companies. A summary of your California privacy rights can be found at: https://www.castandcrew.com/privacy-policy/
Cast & Crew is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job, without regard to age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, citizenship or marital status, and to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.