At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
We are looking for an outstanding individual to lead our Program Management function. Program Management provides people and processes to help our product-development teams work quickly and effectively to get new capabilities out to customers at a rapid pace. Our teams are cross-functional, with biologists, chemists, engineers, computational biologists, and software engineers developing truly new products. Our products have allowed researchers to study biology at unprecedented resolution and scale; yielding insights in diverse fields such as cancer biology, immunology, neuroscience, and developmental biology.
As the head of Program Management, you will directly manage our team of project and program managers, the manager of technical communications, and the R&D lab operations manager. You will report directly to the President and Chief Scientific Officer along with the heads of R&D Science, R&D and Infrastructure Software, Operations, and Hardware and Microfluidics. You will also interact frequently with Marketing, Finance, Business Development, Legal, and HR to make sure our business operations for product development are streamlined.
Since 10x is an R&D-driven company, you will have a strong technical background. Your broad R&D experience will give you an intuitive understanding of cutting-edge product-development projects to inform your decisions, and will also help you build the strongest team possible. Your drive will keep everything moving forward with a sense of urgency, while your openness and will keep communication and trust high.
What you will be doing:
- Manage project and program managers, technical communications, R&D laboratory operations with increasing scope as the company continues to grow
- Promote and maintain an integrated view of 10x’s fast-paced product development projects in terms of schedule, performance, and staffing
- Identify and resolve issues with interconnected deadlines, priorities, and resourcing
- Coach project managers and technical project leads on technical project management
- Assess and improve processes for project workflow, communication, and documentation
- Work with leads in R&D, Operations, and all business functions to scale the company and maintain a fast-paced and agile development environment
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A degree in biology, chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science
- Proven track record (10+ years) on teams for product development of advanced instrumentation and/ or reagents for biology research
- Strong background (7+ years) in project and program management
- Demonstrated experience (7+ years) as a successful leader and manager, with strong references from both your former managers and your former employees
- Thorough understanding of different options and best practices for management of projects, programs, risks, and change
- Experience operating in a Quality Management System
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills
- Strong communication skills: speaking, writing, listening, and interacting
- Unstoppable drive
Additional desirable skills to have:
- Advanced degree in biology, chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science
- Experience in systems combining fluidics, optics, and molecular biology
- Experience in development and manufacturing of reagents or consumables for biology
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.