At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It’s a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they didn’t even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across multiple application areas, including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented individuals driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists, engineers, clinicians, computational biologists, and more to make new strides. We’re dedicated to finding the best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Collaborate with entrepreneurial colleagues to work on innovative products and solutions for difficult scientific problems
About the role
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, motivated and experienced patent agent to play a primary role with the company’s strategic IP efforts worldwide. This patent agent will have a critical role in supporting 10x Genomics’ business in connection with IP portfolio objectives and management, and contribute on an individual basis to patent prosecution and maintenance.
What you will be doing
● Strategic contributor to the drafting, filing, prosecution, and maintenance of 10x’s worldwide patent portfolio. Able to provide hands-on direction and input to outside counsel, and to draft/review a wide variety of work product, including patent applications and office action responses. Able to contribute to global patent strategy as needed over time with a focus on alignment of the patent portfolio with 10x’s business needs, priorities and resources.
● Interact with R&D at all levels, including group leaders and team members, to identify patent-worthy inventions and secure patents on 10x innovations
● Strategic contributor to IP due diligence, technology assessments and FTO analyses in potential strategic transactions (including M&A, licensing and financing)
● Assist 10x counsel and outside counsel on IP-related proceedings, challenges, disputes and litigation
To be successful, you will need:
● Admission to the United States Patent & Trademark Office Bar
● Solid knowledge of global intellectual property laws & practices
● Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in life sciences, biotechnology or closely related patent areas with a strong preference for in-house experience
● Experienced in managing complex patent portfolios & strategies and developing commercially-relevant patent assets
● Advanced degree (preferably a Ph.D.) in biochemistry, molecular biology or chemistry; a strong technological aptitude for learning and working with a range of technologies; and a willingness to learn and engage with 10X employees and outside counsel in other technology areas including microfluidics, instrumentation, and software
● Excellent writing, communication, organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
● Strong interpersonal skills and ability to strategically educate and support fellow employees
● Self-directed and proactive, comfortable executing on multiple projects independently and in collaboration with others
It will be fantastic if you already had:
● Experience managing outside counsel is a plus
● Experience in adverse proceedings (e.g., litigation, USPTO proceedings, EPO oppositions) is a plus