10x Genomics is building tools for scientific discovery that reveal and address the true complexities of biology and disease. Through a combination of novel microfluidics, chemistry and bioinformatics, our award-winning Chromium™ System is enabling researchers around the world to more fully understand the fundamentals of biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. Learn more at 10xGenomics.com.
Fueled by equal parts scientific vision and determined passion, we are delivering unprecedented innovation to short-read sequencing technologies and transforming how genomic information is accessed. We are seeking talented professionals excited to build new technology that advances scientific research while growing their career within a dynamic, supportive environment.
Computational Biologist – Scientific Software Engineer
You will develop the computational infrastructure that supports our pipeline and browser offerings. You are excited to build correct, reliable and highly efficient implementations of key processing steps and algorithms across the 10x stack. This will include algorithms for processing and aligning single-cell sequencing data, dimensionality reduction, clustering, compression and I/O, and visualization. You know that details and polish are critical, so you will create great documentation, help screens, error messages, and QC diagnostic reports. See our software products at https://support.10xgenomics.com and our public Github at https://github.com/10XGenomics/ to get a feel for what we do.
The ideal candidate will have experience shipping scientific software, either commercially or academically. They will couple software engineering skills (e.g. source control, code review, testing, debugging and optimization) with background in scientific computing (e.g. numerical methods, string processing, statistics or machine learning). Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate results clearly are a must. This position will interact closely with colleagues in computational biology, software, product management and applications.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, strategic thinkers, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution.
- Build, optimize and improve processing pipelines across the 10x product line
- Create highly optimized implementations of key algorithms
- Practice and promote excellent software engineering practices
- Prioritize system improvement: know when to refactor & fix bugs, and when to overhaul
Required Skills and Background
- Deep experience in at least one low-level and one high level programming language (Python, Rust, and Go are our main languages)
- PhD, MS, or equivalent industry experience in quantitative field (e.g. computer science, bioinformatics, physics, mathematics, electrical engineering, or related field)
- Highly independent
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with colleagues
Desired Skills and Background
- Low-level software optimization techniques (e.g. multi-threaded algorithm design, SIMD, GPU)
- Experience rendering data to HTML.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.