This designer will have a significant impact on our business through design ownership of our product. This designer will work collaboratively with engineers, product managers, stakeholders, and other designers to advocate user-centered design. Passionate advocates for the user, consistent, functional, iterative design, and the product that connects these elements, step right up.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Own aspects of the product and be the go-to for any iterations on these projects
- Research and design new experiences and update existing site to enhance the viewing and content discovery experience on site
- Own the end-to-end design process, including wireframes, high-fidelity mock ups, and the implementation of such with front-end engineers
- Demonstrate and communicate the end-to-end vision of high-level user flows across departments and stakeholders with clarity and conviction synthesizing feedback to deliver on iterations
- Initiate and respond to ideas for innovation/improvements based on research, analysis, and competitive reviews
- Create design deliverables such as specifications, process flows, wireframes, mock ups, and prototypes
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE YOU SHOULD POSSESS:
- 5+ years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, or similar UX-related role with accompanying experience in visual/graphic design
- Strong experience with product/iterative work with a single product or client
- Strong experience as a “full-stack” designer: UX, UI, visual, HTML/CSS
- Strong ability to communicate your design vision through verbal explanation, sketching, or quick mock ups to small or large groups, from designers to executives.
- Experience with a large-scale web application, preferably one that deals primarily with UGC content
- An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating relevant experience. Your work should reflect the ability to simplify complex experiences and communicate how your designs solve problems.
- A tendency to roll your eyes when job descriptions use words like "rock star designer", "intuitive design sensibility”, or "expert in Photoshop" since, you know, duh.
- Proficiency with HTML and CSS to implement markups, create prototypes, and code production-ready HTML and CSS
- Well-rounded understanding of user-centered design process, as well as strong knowledge of user experience principles
- Experience working in a collaborative team and directly with developers for implementation of designs (hands-on instead of hand offs)
- An understanding of what has come before and where design can logically evolve on site
- Perennial self starter that can create schedules and define scope of work even without explicit requirements and direction
- Ability to balance the defense of your design decisions while taking feedback graciously and considering alternative points of view
- A bachelor's degree in interaction design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent UX experience is ideal.
- Experience with front-end implementation of designs
- Experience with SASS or other CSS preprocessors
- Strong written communication skills
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT US:
Vimeo is the quality, open video platform for creative people around the world. Vimeo was founded in 2004 by filmmakers who wanted a fun, easy, uncluttered way to share their work and moments from their lives. We remain true to that mission by continually striving to help people with a wide range of passions share the things they create and care about. In everything we build for creators and their audiences, our goal is simple: make life worth watching.
Today, Vimeo reaches a monthly audience of over 160 million creators and viewers — and we’re growing bigger every day. Vimeo is made with love by a highly ambitious, ridiculously innovative, and certifiably hilarious team based in New York City, and we’d love for you to be a part of it.